Run Firefox 32 and 64 bit simultaneously?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gin-Chan

Run Firefox 32 and 64 bit simultaneously?

Post by Gin-Chan »

Hey there, I heard that a 64 bit version of Firefox was released, which I'd like to try out. However, I read that this version doesn't support NADAPI plugins, and I'm not sure which of my plugins wouldn't work under this version (btw, how can i check this?). So I'd like to try out the new Firefox 64 bit (and have my plugins, bookmarks et c. installed using Firefox sync) whilst leaving Firefox 32 bit installed. Is this possible? The program files themselves should be fine (since the 32 bit version should install in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder, the 64 bit version in the 'Program Files' folder), but are there any registry entries that would conflict? Or profile data that would be overwritten? Or anything else?

If it's possible to have both versions installed at the same time, I'd like to know if I can also run both of them simultaneousy.

Thanks!
therube

Re: Run Firefox 32 and 64 bit simultaneously?

Post by therube »

> Plugins

Only Flash & Silverlight will work in FF x64.

> are there any registry entries that would conflict?

Not that I'm aware of.

> Or profile data that would be overwritten? Or anything else?

Backup first.

> If it's possible to have both versions installed at the same time

Yes, it is.
(I typically don't "install" on my end, but I do run multiple version of various browsers.)

> I'd like to know if I can also run both of them simultaneously.

Yes.
You'd have to use the -no-remote switch with at least one of the instances.
Each simultaneous instance has to use its own Profile.

So in that respect, I would set up a new Profile (or duplicate your existing) specifically for the x64 version.
Set up shortcuts that point to the appropriate Profile using the appropriate browser version, & set one to run with the -no-remote switch.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gin-Chan

Post by Gin-Chan »

> Backup first.

I do take backups of my Bookmarks and my Bookmarks and Plugins are synced using Firefox sync. That would be enough, yes?

How do I set up Profiles?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

First, be careful when installing the 2nd version of Firefox - it may not install where you expect it to be installed. I assumed what you stated that was true myself at another Firefox support fora and received user feedback that both got installed in the (x86); the 2nd overwrote the first. I can't verify that as I have a 32-bit version of Win7 and Win 10 might work differently than those other users experienced (I have no idea which version of Windows they were using).

No, Sync isn't intended to be a backup media and too many users who have used it that way lost their Sync data inadvertently. Best to backup your entire Profile folder to removable media like a USB Flash drive to be safe.

See this thread about running simultaneous Profiles and multiple versions of Firefox.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2821799
If you scroll to the bottom there are links to 4 earlier versions of that thread.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Gin-Chan

Post by Gin-Chan »

@the-edmeister Thank you!

I'll backup my firefox profile then, and read through that guide when I have the time. Why isn't Firefox sync viable as a backup service? When I switched computers recently, it installed all my plugins and restored my bookmarks as intended ...
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Good luck.

I recently tried installing the 64 bit version alongside an existing 32 bit install, and whilst it did install in a separate folder i.e. C:\Program Files\Mozilla neither the 32 bit or the 64 bit would actually run.

To fix the problem I had to uninstall both versions and reinstall the 32 bit. Admittedly I had not actually done any research about running multiple versions so it was probably my fault.

I use this to back up my profile - http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/