Full screen mode configuration [New]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wissam

Full screen mode configuration [New]

Post by wissam »

“When Firefox is in full screen mode, moving the mouse to the top of the screen slides down into view the tab bar and navigation bar . When it happens the content of the web site is pushed down to make room for the bars, a behavior that looks nice when done once or twice, but begins to be annoying after a while. This is especially disturbing when watching youtube or other web based video - the virtual screen is moving up and down while the movie is playing... I would rather have the bars covering the upper parts of the web site than pushing everything down. Is there a way to change this behavior?”

The above is a quote from a thread started here in 2011 (which is now locked). I was wondering if this feature has been added to Firefox since then? Or is there an extension that can help me do this?
DanRaisch

Re: Full screen mode configuration [New]

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

There's no need to put the browser in full-screen mode if you're putting the player in full-screen mode.
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
wissam

Post by wissam »

It’s not only for videos, that was just an example.

I guess if it can’t be done then it’s not that big of an issue, but I still think that having the top of the bar slide and cover the top of the page to keep it still is the better behavior when the top bar is not pinned to say visible in fullscreen.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Are you running the Unity desktop or Gnome (older) desktop?
Things have changed substantially since 2011 and you may want to clarify or present an image.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

wissam wrote:It’s not only for videos, that was just an example.

I guess if it can’t be done then it’s not that big of an issue, but I still think that having the top of the bar slide and cover the top of the page to keep it still is the better behavior when the top bar is not pinned to say visible in fullscreen.
I don't think you're wrong to want such a feature. And I don't think it's a problem to design the toolbox to behave that way. I just don't think anyone at Mozilla sees any reason to do it. Other than a certain visual appeal, I don't see a reason either, but some add-on dev might find it interesting. (Add-on devs would certainly be in a "position" to do this. [pun intended])
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

Wellll, I got int'rested... play with this CSS if you like:

Code: Select all

/* fx inFullscreen hovered nav toolbox positioned over content */
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
/* just a concept -- works for the most part [testing] */
#main-window[inFullscreen] #navigator-toolbox[inFullscreen] {
  position: fixed !important;
  width: -moz-available !important;
  background-color: rgba(128,128,128,0.7) !important;
}
#main-window[inFullscreen] #navigator-toolbox:hover > toolbar[fullscreentoolbar="true"] {
  width: -moz-available !important;
}
#main-window[inFullscreen] #navigator-toolbox:hover > *:not([fullscreentoolbar="true"]) {
  display: none !important;/* hide stuff the user might have unhidden for normal use */
}
#main-window[inFullscreen] #navigator-toolbox[inFullscreen]:hover {
  margin-top: -3px !important;/* vanilla install -- use '0' if yours isn't "vanilla" */
  z-index: 99 !important;
}
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@mod_wastrel - With Ubuntu, depending which desktop their running this should not be an issue/
Full screen is manipulated by the system not the browser if in Unity due to the Unity toolbar which when the window is moved to the upper position the window goes full.
A double tap on the upper most toolbar will make the window reduce again.
The top mostmenu bar for Firefox is on the Unity toolbar.
Besides this has all changed since 2011 and it seems strange to post the issue when it no longer exists.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you