Right-aligned bookmarks toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

YowzaTheYuzzum wrote:I lost track of what you were saying, sorry. Here's the toolbar in customize mode:

Flexible space, then bookmarks toolbar, then separator.

In this pic your flexible space appears to be to the left of what looks like a copy icon, if that is the case then move it to the right of it.
azmar

Post by azmar »

Greg S wrote:
YowzaTheYuzzum wrote:I lost track of what you were saying, sorry. Here's the toolbar in customize mode:

In this pic your flexible space appears to be to the left of what looks like a copy icon, if that is the case then move it to the right of it.

That's not a copy icon; that's the bookmarks toolbar items icon itself. =P
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

azmar wrote:
Greg S wrote:

That's not a copy icon; that's the bookmarks toolbar items icon itself. =P

I thought so but since it looked like a copy icon on my theme, mentioned it anyway. Is this the default theme? The only other thing I can think of is that somewhere there is mention of a large padding-right floating around somewhere in the theme for bookmarks or the toolbar they are on, unless this is actually a bug.
YowzaTheYuzzum

Post by YowzaTheYuzzum »

This will align them to the right for a second or so after startup, but then for some reason they are all hidden and you need to click >> to get at them. Maybe you can get it to work if you mess around with it.

Yes, I noticed that with a few of the combinations I tried above. I've been messing around with them quite a bit, haven't found anything that works better than that yet.

Is this the default theme?

Yep, default theme.
Leo Davidson

Re: Right-aligned bookmarks toolbar

Post by Leo Davidson »

I finally got sick of this annoyance and worked out how to fix it.

It needed a change to the chrome XUL so I ended up writing a Firefox extension (just to change one XUL attribute, heh). Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... marks-bar/

It's for Firefox 4 as that's all I've tested it on.
philkippy

Post by philkippy »

Thanks for the extension. It seems to work great when I have it installed, but for some reason it seems to periodically uninstall from firefox. That is, I'll close firefox, and then when I come back and start up firefox, there is no trace of the extension.

It's not some cookie thing that is getting cleared is it? I have firefox set up to clear cookies (except for a few) and cache. That's the only thing I can think of, but I don't know why that would clear an extension.
Leo Davidson

Post by Leo Davidson »

philkippy wrote:It's not some cookie thing that is getting cleared is it?

Shouldn't be. The extension is very simple; it's really just one line of XUL that changes one attribute on the bookmarks toolbar; the rest is just standard packaging. Can't think why it would get uninstalled.

FWIW, I found another add-on which was written before mine and looks like it does the same thing. (Not sure why I didn't find it before. Maybe it wasn't published in public yet or maybe I just didn't search properly!)

I haven't tried it but maybe it will work for you if mine doesn't. Here it is:

guriinii

Post by guriinii »

Leo Davidson wrote:
I haven't tried it but maybe it will work for you if mine doesn't. Here it is:

Dude, just to let you know, neither of these add-ons work on the Linux release of FF-5.0. I don't know whether it's FF on Linux or FF-5.0.

:(
Syllinger

Post by Syllinger »

I just tested the addon in Windows and it's not working, so it must be a FF5 issue. Hopefully it will be resolved soon as I'm really hating this centre-aligned bar that I'm left with using the 'flexible space' tool. Given the name, it's not too flexible... =/