Server Not Found, and an error message.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Phil5000

Server Not Found, and an error message.

Post by Phil5000 »

Hi everyone,

I'm haing trouble with Firefox (45.0.2) and I thought you might be able to help.

I've recently switched ISPs and since then I routinely get the Server Not Found while trying to load a website. I have to try it a few times but it will eventually work. I don't know if it's a problem with Firefox or not, or something to do with my ISP but my broadband while downloading seems fine, and uninterrupted. It's only when I try to load a webpage.

A couple of times after the Server Not Found I find myself on a yellow page with the following text:

XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/browser/omni.ja!/chrome/browser/content/browser/aboutNetError.xhtml Line Number 447, Column 68:
<div id="ed_connectionFailure">&connectionFailure.longDesc;</div>

Can anyone give me an idea of what might be the trouble?

Thanks.

Windows XP Service Pack 3
AMD Ahtlon 4600+
4gig ram
DanRaisch

Re: Server Not Found, and an error message.

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
therube

Post by therube »

When you get the "server not found" message, can you open the same page in IE?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Phil5000

Post by Phil5000 »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes, almost immediately.
Phil5000

Post by Phil5000 »

therube wrote:When you get the "server not found" message, can you open the same page in IE?
No, IE does the same thing. So I figured it had to be my ISP. But then I tried Avast Safezone for a couple of days and it didn't do it once. I was switching back and forth between Firefox and Safezone, and when Firefox gave me the Server Not Found I would try Safezone and it would go right through.

I contacted my ISP anyway and they gave me a list of model settings to check, which were all correct, and they said to enter two DSN numbers instead of having it do it automatically, and that didn't help.

Thanks guys.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
therube

Post by therube »

IE does the same thing.
Then it is not FF, necessarily.
I tried Avast Safezone
What is that?
when Firefox gave me the Server Not Found I would try Safezone and it would go right through
And again, when FF gave the 'server not found', was IE also failing at the same time?

It is sounding to me that it could be Avast that is contributing to the issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Phil5000

Post by Phil5000 »

Hi and thank you everyone.

I guess I will reinstall, but could it be just timing out? Is there a way to change how long TB times out?

Thanks again.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

"Server not found" errors are the result of a failure of the DNS lookup.

Please see this existing post on DNS (domain name system) issues. It's fairly old, but some things never change:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 3#p1973293
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers