How do I open Firefox without opening home page(s).

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Doug Daller

How do I open Firefox without opening home page(s).

Post by Doug Daller »

How do I open Firefox without opening home pages? I love the feature having multiple tabs open as home pages, but sometimes I want to start Firefox or start a second instance of Firefox without opening my multiple tabs of home pages. Is there a way?

If there is no way to prevent opening or attempting to open home page(s), maybe I could use an extension to open my multiple home pages. I could switch my default to being only one page/tab and optionally open a set of home pages in tabs.

Post by Guest »

Make a new profile & set the home paeg as BLANK.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Set your shortcut to something like

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "about:blank"
uffdahawaii

Post by uffdahawaii »

Since I installed firefox I get no sound when I receive emails that have music, etc. What do I do???????? uffda
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

uffdahawaii wrote:Since I installed firefox I get no sound when I receive emails that have music, etc. What do I do???????? uffda

You start your own thread.
Doug Daller

Want to open new window when default is to open new tab.

Post by Doug Daller »

Interesting - if an instance of Firefox is open, then another shortcut with -p "2nd profile" doesn't work

If an instance of Firefox is open, even -p or -ProfileManager doesn't work.

If an instance of Firefox is open, "firefox.exe" "about:blank" opens a new tab (setting of external links open new tabs.)

And adding a second profile means bookmarks of first profile aren't available.

What I'm trying to do is open a second instance of Firefox without loading home pages.

Maybe I'll search the forum for the correct windows terminology - open link in new window when setting is to open in new tab. That might get me some info.

Interestingly, setting home page of new profile to "about:blank" got me this page:

http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/
evan5000

Post by evan5000 »

Do you have extensions relating to tabbed browsing. If not, I'd highly suggest Tabbrowser Preferences. It should give you the advanced options to do what you want with the tabs and the home page deal.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.9) Gecko/20050707 Firefox/1.0.5

Post by Guest »

Look at this link for running more than one profile. Why I can't just use 1 browser...
RadioactiveMan

Post by RadioactiveMan »

I think you can have a hompage(or multiple homepages) as normal, but not open them on startup by setting <code>browser.startup.page</code> to zero in about:config.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 BOBA CE
Doug Daller

Post by Doug Daller »

These work great. Thanks, so much.
TO SUMMARIZE:

To open profile manager even if an instance of Firefox is already open:
USE BATCH FILE:
@echo off
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
start firefox.exe -p
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

Or, to open another instance of Firefox with a different profile even if an instance of Firefox is already open:
USE BATCH FILE:
@echo off
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
start firefox.exe -p profilename (no spaces in profilename?)
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

Or to solve my problem directly - open Firefox without opening homepage(s):
Set browser.startup.page to zero in about:config

This opens Firefox without opening any homepage, then I can hit home button to open home page(s) if I wish. You see I usually like to open a bunch of homepages, but sometimes need to go directly to a single page in a new window where I can subsequently open more tabs related to the topic of that single page.

I'll use the batch files for using multiple profiles simultaneously and the browser.startup.page to choose whether to open home page(s) or not.

Thanks all. Thanks RadioactiveMan - used to live in Portland, and have a friend starting at Reed College (actually friend's daughter!)
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

The batch files work much better than setting the environment variable permanently, since doing the latter seems to stop links from Thunderbird opening in Firefox. Well, at least, that's what happens for me.
max1million

Post by max1million »

I was playing with Firefox and found if it is started with set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1, when I try to open a .htm file it will start the profile manager, unless 1st instance was opened without set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1. My guess it will do same in Thunderbird. Firefox is default browser.

In any case try opening 1st instance of both FF and TB normally without MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1. And MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 is not set in "Environment Variable". The external program should then a call for browser/mail open in the 1st instance FF/TB.
max1million

Post by max1million »

Also check the shortcuts here
DickL

Post by DickL »

If there are spaces in the profilename: just use "Profile Name" around them.