Mozilla Firefox 46 (+later) default profile issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Haasinator

Mozilla Firefox 46 (+later) default profile issue

Post by Haasinator »

Hello,

I have experienced an issue with latest Mozilla Firefox version 46 (also 47 Beta and Nightly build tested) with Windows.

We use Mozilla Firefox in our company with some customizations. We have added some company certificates into cert8.db and use configuration files (userChrome.css & userContent.css).
The files are stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\defaults\profile" so that the custom files are automatically copied and used in new user profiles.
Since today with FF version 46 this is not working anymore. The files are not copied into new user profiles.
I have double-checked with Firefox 45 and Firefox 45.1 ESR. With these versions it is working fine.

Is the a bug? Or was something changed with the handling of new user profiles? I have searched, but I didn't find any information.
Who can help me?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards from Germany
Stefan
FreeBeing

Re: Mozilla Firefox 46 (+later) default profile issue

Post by FreeBeing »

Hi,

I have exactly the same bug, with Firefox 46 (x86 and x64), the default profile I created is not copied anymore, it's a big problem to me...
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

Probably bug 1234012, "Figure out what to do about the default profile". They removed it because they weren't using it anymore.
FreeBeing

Post by FreeBeing »

Thanks, so I hope there will be a workaround to do the job...
Haasinator

Post by Haasinator »

Thanks for the information.

This is a huge problem for us. I wonder why they have removed exactly this feature. This is very annoying. :-(

Does somebody know if there will be an alternative way to get custom certificates into the user's profile?
Replacing the cert8.db in the user profile is not an option because we have several users that need their own personal certificates.

Thanks in advance.
abeffers

Post by abeffers »

Hello,

I have the same issue, especially for distributing the cert8.db file.

It has also been noted by Mike Kaply, see
https://mike.kaply.com/2012/03/30/custo ... -profiles/

At this moment, I am looking for a solution outside Firefox.
As we have a windows enviroment, it looks like I have to dust of my old command scripting skills.
I am already looking forward to the random user profile name firefox is using for each user profile.
FreeBeing

Post by FreeBeing »

I confirm we have to create our own script... I created my own with AutoIt (to create a new specific profile for each new user logon, not for existing users that have already a Windows profile into C:\Users)
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

OK guys this is really annyoing.
anyone already found another possible way? like to somehow integrate the cert8.db into the omni.ja file?
abeffers

Post by abeffers »

Hello Tyth,
do not integrate the cert.db into omni.ja. Mike Kaply has a strong opinion about it and I tend to believe him.

I have created a cmd script that copies the file to each user profile once (it creates a seperate flag file for it) and does so only in the user profile dir by using a wildcard, as the user profiles in our organisation uses the random folder name mechanism of Firefox.
As mentioned, find a solution outside firefox seems the best apporach
therube

Post by therube »

I have created a cmd script
Care to share?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Haasinator

Post by Haasinator »

Hello all,

for your information: In the meantime Mike Kaply has developed an autoconfig script that brings back the function.

https://mike.kaply.com/2016/05/24/defau ... irefox-46/

I have successfully tested it with current Firefox ESR (52.1.1). Big thanks to Mike for the great job!

Stefan