Two versions after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sarnia

Two versions after update

Post by sarnia »

I updated Firefox to version 43.0.1 and when I did a MozBackup it backed up the previous version, 37.0.1
The reason appears to be because the previous version was not removed and is listed in installed programmes ahead of the updated version.

If I uninstall the old version, 37.0.1, will it effect the updated version?

(The very same thing has also happened to the Thunderbird update, two versions)

Appreciate any advice.

Sarnia
DanRaisch

Re: Two versions after update

Post by DanRaisch »

"Removing" the older version may result in removing both versions as it may simply be a matter of an invalid entry in Windows list of installed programs. No harm would be done if you use Windows Add/Remove programs functionality to remove the program because the Profile, where saved preferences like your home page and user selected settings reside, is not in the same directory structure as the program files.
James

Post by James »

Firefox 43.0.1 is not a update or current as the current has been Firefox 46.0 since Tuesday. www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/
sarnia

Post by sarnia »

Dan
So removing the older version may mean I'd have to download a new version of Firefox if both are removed.
Or if I just update to the latest version might that do the job for me? ...but then perhaps I'd end up with three versions!

James
The update to 43.0.1 was done a little while back through the update prompt, I have only just got round to addressing the problem.

Many thanks for your help, I'll hold fast for the moment should you have any further thoughts.
Sarnia
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I suggest going to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#en-US and downloading the latest version. After uninstalling Firefox (which may get both versions) you can then use that download to install.
sarnia

Post by sarnia »

Thanks Dan, There are two versions of Firefox for Windows, I'm running on windows 8 (not 8.1) so should I download the 64 bit version?
(and I assume that goes for Thunderbird as well?)
James

Post by James »

The Win64 Firefox needs 64-bit Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10. Will not run on 64-bit WinXP, Vista, and servers.

Note the Win64 Firefox has only the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins white listed to run so if you want to use other Plugins with Firefox on Windows you will need the 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Plugins.
sarnia

Post by sarnia »

Thank you James,
I was taught to measure twice and cut once so please excuse me for coming back for something that might be obvious!
My Plugins are:- Open H246 Video Codex.....I didn't install it's just there
Primetime Content.............I didn't install it's just there
Adobe Acrobat...................I didn't install it's just there
Intel security(two of).........I didn't install it's just there
Mcafee security center.......My security programme (for my sins!)
Extensions are:-Webadvisor
NoScript
WOT

As all is working ok at the mo' and I do want to keep the extensions (not sure of the plugins, don't know if I need them) should I download the 64bit version or the first Firefox in the list which I assume is the 32bit version? I'm running on W8 not 8.1

You assistance is appreciated.

ps using a different computer to post this as my other one kept timing out every time I tried to submit!