about:config restart

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BarbieBarb

about:config restart

Post by BarbieBarb »

What are the rules please for when a firefox restart is required when making any changes in about:config?
How can I know when a firefox restart is necessary or not prior?
I need to know in advance for times when I am working on tasks that have opened scripts etc. and it is not
the time to be interupted and having to close these down for firefox restart.
Thankyou
Grumpus

Re: about:config restart

Post by Grumpus »

Probably not the answer you were looking for but as a matter of practice I usually close out of Firefox and restart unless experience dictates otherwise.
It's similar in concept to the notifications you get when you update an add-on and the restart link shows after the update.
There is probably a logic, this group yes and that group no, or it may even be piecemeal.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

There are no rules & you won't know.

In general, I would think one is not particularly likely to run across a Pref that requires a restart.
(That said, I may have run into one just today, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14617247.)

Sometimes ...
You can make a change, & it will take effect, but if you wanted to revert the change, a restart may be required
A change will not affect the current tab/window, but will in a new window
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BarbieBarb

Post by BarbieBarb »

Well not any of the answers I was hoping for but...
Thanks Grumpus and therube for response info.
Hoping in the future there will be a restart link that appears for only those specific about:config changes it is required...
before you attempt the change...
Thankyou
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

...or just don't make changes to anything under about:config while doing tasks that have opened scripts, etc.
...or just save the current browser session, including saving bookmarks for open tabs, etc. before making any changes to about:config.