Can an firefox extension block flash player connections?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
postcd

Can an firefox extension block flash player connections?

Post by postcd »

Hello,

i seen that when i listen radio http://www.echoes.gr/el/player
(it is flash player which probably opens rtmp stream or something)

My firewall (COMODO) shows that the plugin-container.exe process making direct (un-proxiffied) connection to the radio server. (closed bug report about that, as its issue of the Adobe not Firefox)

I have enabled "System proxy" in my WIndows 10, but plugin-container.exe connections seems to go direct/bypass it which worry me.

Can a firefox extension be made so im asked whether to allow flash to make connections? And firefox extension can also block it?

It is not handy to just block plugin-container.exe connections in the firewall (Comodo, Win. firewall..) as im unable to listen mentioned radio for example. I seen Flash videos played properly as it is not using plugin-container process.
DanRaisch

Re: Can an firefox extension block flash player connections?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
therube

Post by therube »

(Most) everything I see is dated, but...
There's no way for the player to route plain RTMP traffic through the browser proxy. By default, RTMP traffic is sent through port 1935, but browser proxies won't re-route non-HTTP traffic. This is is what the RTMPT variant does, it's traffic is routed over HTTP, and so the browser has the opportunity to route it through a proxy.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/974122

(Flash &) 1935 is what that particular link is using.
(You can check with NetworkTrafficView or similar.)
Flash offers several APIs for remote communication. Those that are HTTP based are actually not implemented in the Flash Player itself, but are inside the browser. So Flash Player asks the browser to download URL X, and the browser does that. If the browser has a proxy configured for URL X, then the browser will use that.

Apart from HTTP based connections there are also raw socket connections, RTMP connectios and the peer-to-peer connections. For those programming proxy support into the connection is the responsibility of the programmer developing the Flash application. I am not aware of the existence of any APIs in browsers that would allow a plugin to read proxy settings from the browser configuration, so I don't think that can be automated.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/685245
The plain RTMP protocol uses port 1935, so the proxy should be setup to handle that traffic.

There are various other fallback ports, check the RTMP protocol specs. for them.

You can also use RTMPT which uses port 80.

Simply specify rtmpt instead of rtmp:bc.. 'streamer': '*rtmpt*://www.domain.com/application/instance'
https://support.jwplayer.com/customer/p ... y-settings
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
postcd

Post by postcd »

I was rather asking from user point of view (user concerned about privacy), than flash applications developer point of view. So far i started using Comodo Internet Security and its integrated firewall to allow only the IP address of the mentioned radio station server to make OUTgoing connections in case of plugin-container.exe process. I assume it is not convenient way so thats why i asked if is possible to allow/deny particular flash elemet's internet connections from within Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

I was rather asking from user point of view
Yes, I understand that.
But from the looks of it, any change needs to come from the developer/server end of things, so from what I have read, it seems you, on your end, are not going to be able to force the connection to run through your proxy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

And that said, never say never.

Different Proxy Settings for flash player??

redirect rtmp

So maybe something can be done from the user end?
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

it might be that the connection is being made through firefox and not through "plugin-container.exe"-unless you have some visual display that is showing you that "plugin-container.exe" is bypassing your proxy while connecting to the internet..

in my experience, in the vast majority of cases, "plugin-container.exe" does not connect to the internet while playing flash content.. the connections are made through "firefox"..
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox