Intermittent 502 Issues only on Firefox Youtube Playlist

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
stevenmccord

Intermittent 502 Issues only on Firefox Youtube Playlist

Post by stevenmccord »

We are making ajax calls to content.googleapis.com/youtube/v3/playlistItems? and we are getting intermittent 502 issues only in Firefox inside of Linux. We can't reproduce with Chrome in linux, but with Firefox it sometimes will work but other times it won't work. Here is an example of request headers:

OPTIONS /youtube/v3/playlistItems?part=snippet%2Cstatus&playlistId=UUchRTywQcyPpexS9_AkPHmg&maxResults=50&pageToken=CDIQAA HTTP/1.1
Host: content.googleapis.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Access-Control-Request-Method: GET
Access-Control-Request-Headers: authorization
Origin: https://blah.test.com
Connection: keep-alive

We are able to see this working in all other browsers and even on Firefox on Mac, but not in Linux. I have messed with Cache settings, but still don't really understand where this error could come from.

Another note, is that when I get a good browser session in Firefox, meaning that I get successful calls from the api, then no matter how many times I refresh it continues to work; however, when I open a session that fails with a 502, no matter how many times I refresh it fails to download the video items.

We are calling other ajax requests from other providers and it is working, and even when we call googleapis/channel api it is working, it is specific to this request.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!
dfoulkes

Re: Intermittent 502 Issues only on Firefox Youtube Playlist

Post by dfoulkes »

In case this is Linux specific ... you might want to include Linux in your Topic.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
stevenmccord

Post by stevenmccord »

I have primarily seen this on Linux, but I have also seen this in other operating systems as well. Although more prevalent in Linux for sure.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It may depend on the language you are using for the Ajax call.
Looking at the error (502 - gateway issue)) do you have any of the Haskell packages employed and do the YouTube servers allow access through the Gateway you are using?
From here: Ur programming language
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
stevenmccord

Post by stevenmccord »

The one thing I noticed is that when I disable SPDY in Firefox it resolves the issue. Any idea why that would be?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This from SPDY wiki
Firefox supports SPDY 2 from version 11, and default-enabled since 13 and later. (Also SeaMonkey version 2.8+.) SPDY protocol functionality can be (de)activated by toggling the network.http.spdy.enabled variable in about:config.[11] Firefox 15 added support for SPDY 3.[33] Firefox 27 has added SPDY 3.1 support.[35] Firefox 28 has removed support of SPDY 2.[30] about:networking (or the HTTP/2 and SPDY indicator add-on)[45] shows if a website uses SPDY.
Does your indicator show anything? . . . is it installed?

Best guess is a translation issue or SPDY version non-support.
Is the SPDY add-on compatible with the Linux distribution you use?
Looking into the repositories I see only one package which has support for SPDY modules and it appears to be for reverse servers and proxy.
Might want to see which SPDY version and whether or not the servers actually support the version.
If it works without SPDY it's probably on the server side not accepting your version, again just guessing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you