Failure in downloading a video show

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wen Le

Failure in downloading a video show

Post by Wen Le »

I tried to download a video show from the link below but it was unsuccessful. My web browser is Mozilla Firefox.

http://2016.sina.com.cn/china/2016-06-1 ... 0410.shtml

I'd already updated my Adobe Flash Player via the Adobe website but still, the result was disappointing. When I used my office computer for testing, the download was not an issue. As advised by someone, I had also updated 64-bit version of Firefox (for Win 10) via the relevant website. Again, there was no improvement.

Although I could not download the video show from Firefox, I could download and watch the above Chinese video show when opening Microsoft Edge (Microsoft web browser in Win 10). It is quite surprising to me. I think it has something to do with the show settings in Firefox.

Please advise on how to resolve the download of video show problem.

Thank you.
therube

Re: Failure in downloading a video show

Post by therube »

I tried to download a video show
When I used my office computer for testing, the download was not an issue.
How did you download?
Is there a download link? Or... ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Wen Le

Post by Wen Le »

therube wrote:
I tried to download a video show
When I used my office computer for testing, the download was not an issue.
How did you download?
Is there a download link? Or... ?
Please refer to the link above. You just click the link and the video show will display by itself as the "Automatic display of show" was already selected. But, the prompt showed "Download failure". I think it is related to the video show settings in Firefox since there is no problem in watching the show from Microsoft Edge web browser.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to be clear here... you just tried to 'watch' it or did you actually attempt to 'download' it into your computer to watch it later... there is a difference in all that...

I just watched some of it in my Test profile with very few extensions and I had no problems 'watching' it.

Try....

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Wen Le

Post by Wen Le »

dfoulkes wrote:Just to be clear here... you just tried to 'watch' it or did you actually attempt to 'download' it into your computer to watch it later... there is a difference in all that... I just watched some of it in my Test profile with very few extensions and I had no problems 'watching' it. .....
To make it clearer, I did not click any button to download the show. When I clicked the link, the download was automatic but it stopped during this process and the prompt showed that there was a failure. There was no such problem when I clicked the link from Microsoft Edge web browser. I need some free time to try it sooner or later but not now.

If not mistaken, you need me to test and see there is any download problem from the above link in safe mode. By the way, I also need to know how to go back from safe mode to the normal mode in Firefox after the test.

Thank you.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Wen Le,
...how to go back from safe mode to the normal mode in Firefox after the test?
Simply close & re-start Firefox the normal way.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

...also, if this is the only site that you are having video issues with ... try this for that site....
From a prior post from Dan Raisch (with minor changes) ...

(If using a version below Firefox 3.5.) Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Recent History->select cache->click on "Clear Now" button).

Else... use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).
Note: The above is for Windows so if you're using a different OS refer to this...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
Wen Le

Post by Wen Le »

Dear,
I tried various ways such as disabled all extensions /video download helper/add-ons, updated VLC multimedia plugin from 2.1.5 to 2.2.4, uninstallation and reinstallation of Firefox (including update), cleared history, cache, cookies, unchecked "Use hardware acceleration when available" but still, the download failed when I returned to the normal mode. However, when I switched to safe mode (restart with add-ons disabled), the download was successful and I could watch the sports show when I clicked the link that I mentioned.

It looks like I have to make "safe mode" as my default firefox browser every time I open it. Is there a way to do it once and for all?

Thank you.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

1. You stated that you disabled all extensions. Was that one at a time while in normal mode? ... or, did you disable all of them at once and then start in normal mode... not safe-mode.
2. Uninstalling Firefox and installing it again does not normally solve issues... 99% of stuff that goes wrong is usually found in the Profile... and if you didn't remove your profile at time of uninstalling Firefox ... it basically does no good.
Wen Le wrote: It looks like I have to make "safe mode" as my default firefox browser every time I open it. Is there a way to do it once and for all?
Thank you.
You can do a couple of things here and not have to be stuck in safe-mode to run that vid.

- You can create another profile and just use that one when you want to run that site... and you can run that profile at the same time as your main one... see the following links...
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

...or, you can just create that new profile and transfer your data files from you old one to your new one (while both profiles are closed) ... it's best to just copy over the data files and re-install extensions into that new one... know what I mean?
Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Don't know if you have solved your problem but this works for me.

As far as I know there is no automatic method to download a video in Firefox. An addon is required.

I believe you must view the video to download it -- in most cases if not all. You will need some form of .flv video viewer for .mp4 and .flv videos.

Install this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-comments

After installation, right click on a on a toolbar and move the double button (if it is not automatically there).

This provides a 2 button combination (dropdown and down-arrow) and options for what action you want to perform. You can point it to your normal download location within the options.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As far as I can see...the OP is just trying to watch the video ...and not download it.....as indicated by his being able to watch it in safe mode... which would disable all extensions.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Hard to tell for certain. I read it as the video would play and download automatically with MS Edge browser but not download with Firefox only partial play.

We will see :)
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Wen Le

Post by Wen Le »

I don't prefer complicated method. Under Add-on, there are two : 1. Flash Video Downloader- You Tube HD Download (4K) & 2. Video Download Helper
When I selected "Restart with add-ons disable" (the above 2 will be disabled) & switched to safe mode, I was able to watch the show by clicking the above link. Also, the download and display of webpages & pictures appeared much faster.
But, if I didn't select the above option, it simply displayed "Download failure" when I clicked the above link. It was quite slow in displaying the webpages & pictures.
The add-on appeared to be the cause of download failure /slowness and must be disabled before I could watch the show. If I could set the "add-on disabled" as the default in firefox, it will save the trouble. Is there a way to do so?

By the way, should I remove or delete one of the two mentioned above (1. Flash Video Downloader- You Tube HD Download (4K) & 2. Video Download Helper) ? Are they duplicating each other and causing the confusion or conflict and thus, the slowness in downloading the pictures and webpages? If there is a need, which one should I remove?

Thanks.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Those extensions are used to 'download' a video into your computer so that you can save it and watch it later... if all you ever want to do is 'watch' a vid... then you don't need them at all and you can uninstall them... I watch vids all the time... as in your example vid... watched it... no issues... and I don't use any of the 'download' extensions because I don't need to save them on my computer.

So... in summary... actual 'downloading' means to store a vid on your computer... and watching a vid is just ... watching it and not downloading it... understand?
therube

Post by therube »

should I remove or delete one of the two mentioned above (1. Flash Video Downloader- You Tube HD Download (4K) & 2. Video Download Helper) ? Are they duplicating each other and causing the confusion or conflict
Very possible.
Test with both disabled.
Test with both enabled.
Test with only one enabled.
Test with only the other one enabled.

What was the result?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript