Mozilla crashing like crazy again.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Mozilla crashing like crazy again.

Post by dfoulkes »

I see that others had posted stuff by the time I hit submit... but here it is anyway...

... DanRaisch posted the normal steps to take when you hit this kind of stuff... I also posted about safe-mode ... and have yet to see a post from you about the results of those tests.... you seem to want to bypass 'normal' rules when it comes to testing.... reason????

Also... one of the best ways to destroy the integrity of a profile is to kill the Firefox process via the Task mgr.... at times, that is the only solution... but should be used very sparingly.

I use the current Avast app... but long ago I disabled the extensions that it forced into my Firefox...

Plus... you mention that Firefox should fix bugs when new or updated apps come out... such as Avast... 'All browsers' -dev teams make available ...all of the soon to be released code for their product... and it is the job of the (in this case... Avast) ... to use that Beta release(s) to make sure that 'their' product functions properly in a browser that they are about to insert stuff into... not the other way around... that is how it all works... and has for a ton of years.... maybe even back to the days of the Romans :-" ... maybe the Roman army had a standard diameter spear-shaft... and any rock or steel guy pounding spear-points out... had to adhere to the shaft specs...know what I mean? :P
James

Post by James »

Robert Lindsay wrote:Doesn't FF fix its conflicts with other programs in advancing versions. If FF is crashing with Avast, that's an FF bug that needs to be fixed. If FF is crashing with Web Companion, that is an FF bug that needs to be fixed. I would assume that as versions advance, more and more bugs would be fixed.
It may be a bug with Firefox if it was say causing Avast to crash. However it is Avast that is causing Firefox to crash. It is unfortunately not uncommon for a antivirus (on Windows mainly) to cause issues with Firefox like say crashes, false positives and quarantining or deleting what were clean files and such and sometimes it can take a while for the antivirus problem to be fixed. Mozilla could do workaround fixes but that would in itself create problems.
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

dfoulkes wrote:I and have yet to see a post from you about the results of those tests.... you seem to want to bypass 'normal' rules when it comes to testing.... reason????

Also... one of the best ways to destroy the integrity of a profile is to kill the Firefox process via the Task mgr.... at times, that is the only solution... but should be used very sparingly.

I use the current Avast app... but long ago I disabled the extensions that it forced into my Firefox...

Plus... you mention that Firefox should fix bugs when new or updated apps come out... such as Avast... 'All browsers' -dev teams make available ...all of the soon to be released code for their product... and it is the job of the (in this case... Avast) ... to use that Beta release(s) to make sure that 'their' product f
Thank you Dan. The browser is running well now at 48.0.7 Beta so I am not doing the Safe mode or new profile thing.

Thank you for the info about the corruption of profiles via ending by Task Manager. I do do that sometimes, even when it is not necessary, so that's great info. What are some of the symptoms of a corrupted profile? Is there a program I can run to tell me if my profile is corrupted. Can I examine my profile somehow and see if it is corrupted?

I also disabled the Avast extension that it put into my Firefox...at least I deleted one of them. Let me go check and see if I got rid of all of them.

I saw in a recent release that FF said that it fixed a bug that caused FF to crash when some other application was running - in this case a security software like firewall, etc. So they do fix crashes that result from conflicts with other programs sometimes?

Should say Avast be notified (by me or some other user) if its program is causing FF to crash? How are they going to know that they have an FF bug to fix?

I just updated to the latest version of Avast's program (not definitions). Thanks for that.

Intel's application could not find any Intel products and Dell's program refused to run. The box is not really a Dell. It is just a homemade custom built box made by my computer guy.

Intel 945G Graphics Controller is my graphics card.

This is my driver some 2011:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=7PK55

Now how do I find a newer driver, assuming there is one?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Firefox will be updated if it is determined that something changed in Firefox is causing crashes with security programs. That is, if the problem is in Firefox. In this case the crash reports are identifying the Avast extension as being involved, thus the fix must be made by Avast.

I believe that Avast has heard from multiple users of the problem with the extension but you could certainly add your report to the list of complaints.

See this site to get the latest available driver for that Inter graphics card -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ss-Chipset
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Robert Lindsay wrote: Thank you Dan. The browser is running well now at 48.0.7 Beta so I am not doing the Safe mode or new profile thing.
?
OK, making progress... why are you still running 48.0.7 beta version when 48.0.1 (which has a patch for certain crashes) is now Release. Unless you want to continue on the 'Beta' channel of course. I would think that by now if you are indeed on the Beta-channel you would get 49.0.x Very soon.

I don't keep track of the 'beta' builds as I live dangerously and use Nightly's... have for years.

EDIT: I just took a quick look, and seems that 49 b5 is out -
James

Post by James »

There is no 47.0.7 as it is likely 47.0b7 (47.0b9 was last Beta build for 47.0).

https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

DanRaisch wrote:Firefox will be updated if it is determined that something changed in Firefox is causing crashes with security programs. That is, if the problem is in Firefox. In this case the crash reports are identifying the Avast extension as being involved, thus the fix must be made by Avast.

I believe that Avast has heard from multiple users of the problem with the extension but you could certainly add your report to the list of complaints.

See this site to get the latest available driver for that Inter graphics card -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ss-Chipset
But both of the Avast extensions in my plugins have been disabled. What gives?

The graphics card is 82915G/GV/910GL express chipset. Microsoft refused to write a driver for Windows 7 for this card for some reason. The only driver is the one on the Dell page linked above. Numerous attempts to install the Windows XP/Vista version of the driver all failed with an error saying wrong operating system. Supposedly you can install the XP/Vista version but it is some hack that you have to do in something called Compatibility Mode which I do not understand.

When I go to Device Manager and tell it to update driver it tells me that I already have the most recent version of the driver.
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

New crash reports. All crashes occurred on 48 beta 5. All of these crashes occurred immediately upon startup. IOW, Firefox would not even start. You would go to start it and it would crash instantly with a crash report. So it would not even go on the Net or give you a screen or anything. Out of curiosity, here are those crash reports:

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 4912160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 0722160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 6f42160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... ace2160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... d482160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... d482160823

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 81b2160823

All of these crashes occurred within the space of one minute.

Done: Updated to 48, beta 10 and immediate crashes stopped.
Done: Reinstall of Avast.
Done: System restore of Windows
Done: Updated Intel drivers (apparently)
Done: Tested safe mode: Browser continues to crash in safe mode, maybe not as much?
Done: Moved up to Firefox 48.0.10beta. So I am almost at the end of the beta cycle for 48.0.0 Beta 10 appears to work pretty well, better than the others.

Thx for all your help.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

dfoulkes wrote:Just my 2cents about Firefox crashes.... I've used Firefox since 2008 and if my memory is working properly I've had one or two crashes in that time... both caused by faulty extensions... and I use around 40 extensions in here... I'm constantly amazed that I have not screwed up my profile with all the junk I play with... Firefox (as out of the box) is very solid... just saying.
Wow, impressive. :D I've had a lot more crashes than that! However, I've never experienced the "it crashes all the time" phenomenon with any browser (ok, maybe IE 3 or something from years ago). However, if you look in any browser forum there will be some users for whom this happens while there will be other users who have almost no problems. But, hey, that's software for you. So many potential combinations that can screw things up.
therube

Post by therube »

48 beta 5
Updated to 48, beta 10
So you're still intent on using old betas.
Well, whatever, if it works for you.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Hmmm... after playing around with Beta's, killing Firefox in the Task mgr... and who knows what else has been going on... that new test profile request ... and tested as-is for whatever time it takes to feel that it is solid... is the thing to do... else... 'we' are wasting our time here.... and note... tons and tons of users have created that new profile and found it to be good... meaning something in their old profile got hosed... so, do that please...and if it works good... then we can help with getting it set up with your data files... otherwise... as I stated... we are wasting time and lives here. :-"
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

Hi created my new profile, and while it did not fix all of my problems, it definitely fixed quite a few of them. In general, I would say that Firefox is running better with the new profile.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Robert Lindsay wrote:Hi created my new profile, and while it did not fix all of my problems, it definitely fixed quite a few of them. In general, I would say that Firefox is running better with the new profile.

So, what problems are left to fix?
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

dfoulkes wrote:
Robert Lindsay wrote:Hi created my new profile, and while it did not fix all of my problems, it definitely fixed quite a few of them. In general, I would say that Firefox is running better with the new profile.

So, what problems are left to fix?
Some versions were still crashing, but now I am on 48.0.2 and it seems pretty stable. I also did a System Restore on Windows. I haven't had a crash all day, which is downright incredible.

I can post the crashes in the new profile over the last few days if you would like to look at them.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I can post the crashes in the new profile over the last few days if you would like to look at them.
Those are crashes from version 48.02?