plugin-container.exe running without plugins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tdrs

plugin-container.exe running without plugins

Post by tdrs »

Hi,

since some time now I can actually use my firefox without plugins.
So every plugin listed in my plugin-page is disabled.
But the plugin-container.exe is still running and I have no idea what could be running in it.
I disabled all my extensions too, but still, my plugin-container.exe is using around the same amount of memory like my firefox.exe

I tried to get some useful information out of about:memory but couldn't find something helpful.

Has anybody an idea why it is like this?

PS: I do not have memory problems and I do not plan to discuss any "Firefox is memory hogging" problems, I am just interested why it looks like a process which I probably do not need.

Have a nice day
tdrs
Win7x64, GTX 1060
therube

Re: plugin-container.exe running without plugins

Post by therube »

Seem to recall that plugin-container.exe is used for more then "just plugins", but specifics escape me?
So in that respect, it might not be unheard of for plugin-container to raise its face.

> plugin-container.exe is using around the same amount of memory like my firefox.exe
Roughly how much is that?

Do you have e10s enabled?
Any change if you disable it?

That seems to be it, you are probably using multiprocess firefox. all web content will run in the plugin-container.exe process in this case.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tdrs

Re: plugin-container.exe running without plugins

Post by tdrs »

That's it! I disabled multiprocess and the second exe is gone. Thank you :)
Win7x64, GTX 1060