Growing number of websites no longer function properly in FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
maccrunchie

Growing number of websites no longer function properly in FF

Post by maccrunchie »

I am getting more and more instances of websites where FF no longer renders properly.
The latest one being https://dream.klm.com/ca_en/?origin=YYZ&destination=AMS#!/

The flight selection box near the top of the page shows up as a white space block in FF while rendering properly in IE and Chrome.
This has happened before on several other websites (which I do not remember) and I have even called companies to tell them there is a problem with their website, only to find out that FF is the problem.
Unless there is a fix soon I'll have to give up on Firefox, after what, 15 years?

What is happening here?

Just remembered another one.

https://www4.aeroplan.com/home.do
In FF I get nowhere after entering my login credentials. Works fine in IE
LIMPET235

Re: Growing number of websites no longer function properly i

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Are you running any kind of script blocker such as No Script?
I had to allow the page in No Script to view the Flight Selector.

Try running in Firefox "Safe Mode".
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
or... Help > Re-start with Addons disabled or hold down your Shift key as you click the Firefox short cut..
Do not check any boxes.
This is a fault finding mode.
NB: Be careful of the "Delete all bookmarks except for back-ups" option.

Don't add any extensions or themes until it's working O.K.
If Firefox is O.K. in Safe Mode then it's possibly an extension/theme...etc causing it.
Run Firefox in normal mode & disable them all. Re-start Firefox.
Enable each in turn, or by ½'s, re-starting Firefox each time, till the faulty extension is found.
Either update or un-install it.

See this incomplete list,
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

When in Safe Mode...
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The JIT/Javascript compiler is disabled.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.

Oh yes....Sorry to say but, "We" don't care if you "give up on Firefox", as we are just users, like you. :)
Plus...It's really no good if you have to log in to a site to see any faults, as "we users" will not do that.

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
maccrunchie

Post by maccrunchie »

Perhaps not expressed properly. Giving up is not a threat, it's merely a statement as this is getting frustrating.
Not quite as frustrating as it is to no longer be able to allow/disallow individual sites to set cookies, but that's another story in another thread.

I am not running anything to block scripts as I use scripts in my own websites.
Disabled all add-ons and ran in Safe mode. Made no difference. Still just get the white box.

Unless I misread it, your statement "I had to allow the page in No Script to view the Flight Selector." seems to indicate that it only works when scripts are disabled.
Can't find the No Script option you mentioned unless that involves installing the NoScript Security Suite?

As for the aeroplan website, the fault does not occur after logging in. Logging in IS the fault as it just sits there after I click Login. All I get is the moving bar.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
"No Script" is an extension & as I mentioned, I had to temp allow the scripts to run to view the page correctly.

&....I understand that it can be frustrating at times. You just want the darn browser to work......:)
Nothing is 100% perfect, especially the people that create web sites.
Anyway, hang 5 or 10 & someone will be along to help you a bit more.

I gotta get some sleep.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

maccrunchie wrote:I am getting more and more instances of websites where FF no longer renders properly.

FWIW -- The flight selection box near the top of the page shows up as a white space block in FF while rendering properly in IE and Chrome.
Works fine here, although it takes a while to load and fill in that block. Running Adblock Plus w no additional script blocking extensions installed.
Have you tried this in Mozilla Safe Mode as a troubleshooting step? In addition to disabling all extensions, it makes a few other changes.

Info on Safe Mode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Last edited by makaiguy on September 3rd, 2016, 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if safe-mode do not help then either your profile is broken (reset firefox profile) or other installed security software is interupting. ofc there exist anytime the possibility that web sites may be broken but it was pointed out that your examples are proper working.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

maccrunchie wrote: What is happening here?
Evidently a lot! Over 300 web requests required to load the page . . . took about 10 seconds for your flight info box to populate. How long did you wait for the page to load? My AdBlock Plus extension blocked over
50 of those web requests, so no doubt all the extra javascript and whatnot would've taken even longer in a barebones Firefox. Bloat and Excess wherever you look these days . . .
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Page opened in two seconds for me I am using zero add blocking or script blocking
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
hch

Post by hch »

I have UBlock Origin. Page loads OK.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

hch wrote:I have UBlock Origin. Page loads OK.
Ditto. On the KLM page I'm seeing the same as makaiguy. 25 items blocked by uBlock Origin, plus four more by Social Disconnect. Slower to load with uBlock disabled, but no obvious visual differences, which I suppose suggests it's inserting a lot of invisible trackers.

Aeroplan doesn't even work properly on the home page with uBlock enabled - that slideshow must have trackers in it too.

If not already tried, clearing cookies, cache and history and maybe a DNS flush might help.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Page appeared to work fine with NoScript in force.
Seemed to be a very long page and W3C showed 11 errors and no warnings but took a while longer to load than normal.
There seems to be a connection with a tag service which impedes the graphic display.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

maccrunchie wrote:I am getting more and more instances of websites where FF no longer renders properly.
Works fine for me with FF48.0.2. As noted you need to allow scripts AND accept cookies.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Vitesse wrote:
hch wrote: If not already tried, clearing cookies, cache and history and maybe a DNS flush might help.
Be sure to perform what Vitesse posted... seen way too many problems with old data sitting around... in fact, I clear cache at time of closing Firefox...

Plus... to prove that Firefox is fine... do this and use it as-is to visit those sites..
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

If you are still having issues with that test profile... there's something else going on in your computer then.

And BTW... using my test profile with uBlock it blocked 49 pieces of junk... loaded that first site just fine... took about 4 seconds for it to settle down.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!