"Recently Bookmarked" - More Than An Annoyance

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ozkar

"Recently Bookmarked" - More Than An Annoyance

Post by Ozkar »

I unknowingly updated FF to v49 in Linux. The bookmarks menu has gotten so cluttered with annoying unwanted insertions and IRREMOVABLE "FEATURES" that I erased it. I don't want to even look at it. It is an insult. Instead, I start PaleMoon and if a certain codec or site won't resolve in PM I cut/paste the URL to FF. Pale Moon is now by Bookmarks source for Firefox.

Why not just leave the UI alone for a while? Concentrate on security and give us a rest. Stop deliberately aggravating and annoying the end users. I wasted an hour his morning attempting to find a way to erase the RECENTLY BOOKMARKED and RECENTLY TAGGED and OTHER BOOKMARKS listings. Apparently I'll have to become some kind of amateur CSS coder to get rid of this embarrassing crud.

I am using FF45.3.0 ESR on my Win7 machines, and luckily they do not have this infection. YET. I will try to hold off any updates until I can remedy the Bookmarks list.

AS A FIRST PRINCIPLE - Please make this kind of non-security related UI meddling EASILY REVERSIBLE IN ABOUT:CONFIG Settings
Thanks.
LIMPET235

Re: "Recently Bookmarked" - More Than An Annoyance

Post by LIMPET235 »

I don't use or know if this works so...
See if it does what you require.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

Set, browser.bookmarks.showRecentlyBookmarked to 'false'.
Why not just leave the UI alone for a while? Concentrate on security and give us a rest. Stop deliberately aggravating and annoying the end users.
Not going to happen.
Just how to you expect them to aggravate & annoy you if they don't put in those changes that aggravate & annoy you with every new release ;-)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

AS A FIRST PRINCIPLE - Please make this kind of non-security related UI meddling EASILY REVERSIBLE IN ABOUT:CONFIG Settings
Being new to the board... you probably don't realize that we are not connected to Mozilla... just a bunch of people helping other people......

About MozillaZine
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Ozkar

Post by Ozkar »

OK > what forum actually connects to the Capo Tutti Mozziglieri? Like many other corp elitetwinks - are they sealed off from the struggle-muggles in some stainless hi-rise bubble? Is the Mozzhive one wit da Bored? Who and where are they? Why are they turning what was once the alt browser into the statist bureau of irritating plop? Edge is starting to look good.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Ozkar wrote:OK > what forum actually connects to the Capo Tutti Mozziglieri?
None of these forums because we are not Mozilla
mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love them just the same.
Try here > https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback/firefoxdev/

And Have a Nice Day :?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Ozkar

Post by Ozkar »

Perfect, thanks. Possibly never transmitted and immediately erased. But there exists in the universe a tiny possibility such feedback may actually be read by someone not on the janitorial staff.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

What does all that mean?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't normally comment about users 'positions/points of view' ... because ... 'to each their own' ... but you know... it seems that there's a large amount of negative pulses going on here ... and just for a Free Browser?....and tons of free support? ... with more capability to 'adjust' the browser to meet the users needs... more than any other browser! I've used Firefox since version 3.0beta... no sweat here... I take a look around and make minor changes when changes occur via a new release... or I just live with them... on the FREE browser.

I understand that tea is supposed have a calming affect.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Ozkar wrote:Perfect, thanks. Possibly never transmitted and immediately erased. But there exists in the universe a tiny possibility such feedback may actually be read by someone not on the janitorial staff.
The fleedback comments all appear on this page -- https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/

Don't know what happens beyond that.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Ozkar wrote:I wasted an hour his morning attempting to find a way to erase the RECENTLY BOOKMARKED and RECENTLY TAGGED and OTHER BOOKMARKS listings. Apparently I'll have to become some kind of amateur CSS coder to get rid of this embarrassing crud.
Install Stylish, then add the code below. It's a lot easier than trying to learn .css coding.

Hide "Recently Bookmarked" in Bookmark Menu:

Code: Select all

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#BMB_recentBookmarks { display:none!important; }
#menu_recentBookmarks { display:none!important; }
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ozkar wrote:OK > what forum actually connects to the Capo Tutti Mozziglieri? Like many other corp elitetwinks - are they sealed off from the struggle-muggles in some stainless hi-rise bubble?
Nope, the truth is far simpler - you messed up a simple Google search.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:...

Install Stylish, then add the code below. It's a lot easier than trying to learn .css coding.

Hide "Recently Bookmarked" in Bookmark Menu:

Code: Select all

/*AGENT_SHEET*/
#BMB_recentBookmarks { display:none!important; }
#menu_recentBookmarks { display:none!important; }
This removes just the string "Recently Bookmarked" from both popups, but the actual bookmarks remain and due to restrictions we can not remove items from menubars popup using css on macOS for example. Hiding on macOS via Javascript worked before Fx48 on DeveloperEdition and Nightly builds back when "Recently Bookmarked" was introduced, but stopped in Fx48.

Let me explain.

This is how it looks with "Recently Bookmarked" enabled (look at the bookmarks below "Recently Bookmarked" label/item):

This is how it looks after adding that css code:

This is how to access the default browser preference from the popup (equal to using about:config >> browser.bookmarks.showRecentlyBookmarked):

This is how it should look after "Recently Bookmarked" bookmarks and label are gone:

(Tested on a new Portable Firefox profile)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There's also Classic Theme Restorer which has settings to hide both Other Bookmarks and Recently Bookmarked plus sub items.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Just me? Or is there something endemically wrong with people who use Macs?

Can't find Firefox Help in the Help menu to go to "Capo Tutti Mozziglier" - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.