Mozilla 50.0 two separate instances in task manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Kontik

Mozilla 50.0 two separate instances in task manager

Post by Kontik »

Hello,
yesterday I upgraded to.Mozilla 50.0. I noticed I had two separate mozillas- sessions opened in task manager in Processes. One was the one I was using, I could click pn it and see separate tabs and the other one, which had no tabs. It showed up only on task manager, it was not opened realistically.

I never noticed that before. When I forced quit My mozilla with a tab,it got cancelled normally, while other Mozilla without tabs remained.
When I opened my mozilla, it opened up as second session in task manager processes.
When I force quit the first mozilla in task manager, my mozilla opened an error message window,blank white with something like android or plug in window and got cancelled as well.
I launching firefoz again and one additional session has not opened at all, not even after restart or more tries.
These two mozillas in task manager in services tab had two different IDs.

Was it some kind of virus, keylogger, mozilla 50.0 bug or new feature?
At first I freaked out,but then google brought me.to this forum and I think other website where it said that mozilla 50.0 has a new feature where it opens in two separate sessions, one for ui and other one for plugins or something like that? Could it be that this happened since I had version 50.0?
How come it has not launched each time I opened mozilla afterwards? Does it open only when certain conditions are met, lets say video is played or something and then remains?

Thanks.
trolly

Re: Mozilla 50.0 two separate instances in task manager

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Kontik

Post by Kontik »

Thanks for reply.
So it should be launching 2 processes.
So, I had 2 Mozillas launched.
Mozilla 1 - one I found suspicious,did not have tabs
Mozilla 2 - Mozilla that was used by me - you could click on it in task manager and see open tabs.

Please,could you verify/anwer two things for me? :
1. How come.Mozilla 50.0 launched 2 instances only once and not anymore? I saw it day before yesterday once and after I force quitted the instance 1, it has not reappeared again. How come?
2. On tuesday, I found instance 1 and 2 in task manager.
Inst 2 was mine,had tabs. Inst 1 was without tabs. Inst 1 was not visible in the taskbar. Inst 1 had different IDS than inst 2.
A. i forced quitted through task manager my inst (2).
Inst 1 persisted.
I opened mozilla, inst 2 reappeared in task bar.
B. I then force quitted inst 1 through task manager. Threw me blank page with error message, with plugin or android or something like thar icon. Do not remember what it said. I think i clicked on it and it quitted inst 1 and 2 at the same time.
Do you know if this behaviour was normal and could you please reproduce it? Best if you did and could tell me/show me the page itself that appeared to me?

After that,no matter how many times I opened mozilla and restarted computer, it always had only one instance.
What happened? Was it rogue instance or was it legit by mozilla?
Did it behave like something that was designed by Mozilla, version 49.0 or 50.0? Thanks.

If so,was inst 1 loaded due to plugin or something?
I had only 3 basic plugins that came with mozilla.
Thanks.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

some addons will cause FF to only run one instance.. if you istalled an addon, that could have caused FF to quit running multiple instances..

FF is designed to work that way because some addons are not compatible with running multiple instances of firefox..
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
Kontik

Post by Kontik »

Thing is I have not installed any addons at all.
Only ones that I had were the 3 that came preinstalled with it:
Cisco and the other 2 which names I do not remember right now.

It still does not answer my 2 questions :(
trolly

Post by trolly »

I do not understand your problem.
By default Firefox will start several processes. One for the UI and some for the content. I got two of them.
Some addons are not ready for using content processes and therefor Firefox do not create them if it detects such an addon.

From TaskManager:

Code: Select all

firefox.exe	8320	Active XXX 00 	241.268 K	"XXX\firefox.exe"	Nightly

firefox.exe	5668	Active XXX 00 	3.188 K	"XXX\firefox.exe" -contentproc --channel="8320.0.1640681881\66255275" -greomni "XXX\omni.ja" -appomni "XXX\browser\omni.ja" -appdir "XXX\browser"  8320 "\\.\pipe\gecko-crash-server-pipe.8320" gpu	Nightly

firefox.exe	7840	Active XXX 01 	169.316 K	XXX\firefox.exe" -contentproc --channel="8320.11.1626660857\931492885" -greomni "XXX\omni.ja" -appomni "XXX\browser\omni.ja" -appdir "XXX\browser"  8320 "\\.\pipe\gecko-crash-server-pipe.8320" tab	Nightly
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.