Unable to backup or export bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LIMPET235

Re: Unable to backup or export bookmarks

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Selecting "All Bookmarks" will not work, as that folder is hard coded.

To delete/remove any of the default Bookmarks, you have to select them/the folder in the left & then delete them in the right pane.
If the Delete function is "greyed out", then that selection is also hard coded.

Further ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_exp ... _-_Firefox
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi again
I figured that out, thanks m8
but now a new problem
I copied, sorry, imported the html file, and my "Bookmarks Toolbar" is located at the bottom of the list of hundreds of bookmarks.
I moved it up to its original location just below "All Bookmarks"
sorry, to be continued, think I solved................................
later, thnx
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
If, as you found, you now have 2 Bookmark Toolbars, then you now have twice as many bookmarks as before.
NB: "Browse to the folder containing the bookmarks HTML file, select the file you wish to import and click "open".
The imported bookmarks will be added to your existing bookmarks."

You will have to open that new BMToolbar folder & drag 'n' drop each one to it's required folder.
then you can delete the new BMToolbar folder.

Also..from the article.> "Firefox users who don't wish to keep their existing bookmarks can start in Firefox Safe Mode, select the option, "Delete all bookmarks except for backups" (Firefox 3.6 and above) or "Reset bookmarks to Firefox defaults" (Firefox 3.5 and below), and then choose "Make Changes and Restart", before importing the bookmarks HTML file."
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

petergo

Post by petergo »

ok m8, thanks and fixed BM Toolbar

Feeling optimistic since I imported all my bookmarks what appears to have been successfuly, thought I would try now and backup and export, BUT ALAS, still does not work, sheesh!!

have a great day or night or what ever <smiles>
footy starts in 6 weeks, yeahhhhh!!

peter
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

petergo wrote:thought I would try now and backup and export, BUT ALAS, still does not work, sheesh!!
Er... which extensions have you added to the New Profile ....the one you said worked importing/exporting bookmarks ?
The idea was to eliminate/remove the one causing the problem...a 'download manager' ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi mightyglydd

am still using the old profile
Tonight I will tackle removing all downlaod manager associated add ons or what evrs

in the end may have to go the route of a new profile but hopeful I don't

I may also try disabling the extensions and add ons one by one, although not hopeful, as even in safe mode the backup/export did not work

back to work now, try again later
cheers
petergo

Post by petergo »

update....
I uninstalled
Download Manager S3
Download context menu
Avast online security

then tried again both backup and export, but still no success

I am hoping and wishing and praying there is something else that can be done before I have to create a new profile and move everything from the old one to the new one

thanks, cheers
peter
eisneun

Post by eisneun »

one thing you can try is to have firefox auto export an html copy of your bookmarks into your profile folder each time you close firefox.

Code: Select all

about:config?filter=browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
copy and paste this about:config into your location bar and press enter. click past the "i'll be careful" warning. double click on the browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML setting to change it to true. close firefox and go to your profile folder. you should now have bookmarks.html file in your profile.
open the newly created bookmarks.html file in firefox to verify its contents. if everything is ok, you can copy the bookmarks.html file to your backup location outside your profile folder.
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi there

I followed your easy to follow directions, and alll went well, UNTIL, I checked in my profile and the only bookmark file there is one from 8/2/2011.

what do I do now please?

thanks, cheers
peter
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi

sorry to be such a bother and pest, but discovered another problem

when I save a bookmark, then go to the tab where it should be , it's there, but when I restart FF, it isn't there anymore. The bookmark has not been saved

thanks for further help and advice

cheers
peter
petergo

Post by petergo »

I have tried now to save several bookmarks to different saved bookmark folders, and they appear in the bookmark toolbar tabs after saving then, BUT, when I restart FF, they are no longer there

Maybe, there is something wrong with my bookmarks file, as a wild guess, by an old fart who knows little about computers and software

thanks again, cheers
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,

Please ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_exp ... _-_Firefox
There are links in that article under "Other Solutions" to try.
Read this section...> "Bookmarks and browsing history are stored in the Places database file "places.sqlite".

But....it's a lot quicker to just create a new Profile.

mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LIMPET235 wrote:But....it's a lot quicker to just create a new Profile.
I thought he had.....I have no idea what farting around in about:config (should be off limits to non geeks IMIO) has to do with anything.
petergo wrote: So, I created a new profile, and the backup and export worked and saved to the desktop
Problem solved...
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You may have a corrupt places.sqlite file. Run the Places Maintenance extension top see if that solves your bookmarks issues..
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... intenance/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
petergo

Post by petergo »

EVERYBODY, thank you for trying to help me

the places maintenance extension did not work it got stuck at checking integrity for a few hours so I gave up

I used my old friend google and found a Mozilla forum article, after reading for hours all different types of solutions, and I simply deleted all the places.sqlite files in my old profile.
I restarted FF, used the restore JSON file thingy, and voila! (Aussie , for there you go ) all my bookmarks are back
AND, here's the kicker,(Americanism for the best part ) I was able to backup and export the bookmarks......................... this time.

I am so excited, I will wait a bit then exit FF, and see if I can do the backup and export again, and should it be honkey dorey, (French for ok!) then the resolution to the issue is to simply delete the place.sqlite files

fingers fair dinkum crossed as hard as possible

thanks again everybody, and where do I mail all those cheques to? <grin>
peter