No XPCOM with a twist...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

No XPCOM with a twist...

Post by Flycaster »

All of a sudden, of course, it happened. Went to open Firefox (don't recall the version, but not more than 2-3 months old,) on my portable, it opened but all the favs I tried responded with "No server found." I then tried iExplorer and got the same response. However, both browsers opened and worked well on my desktop. Both computers use the same wireless modem/router (Comcast supplied.) I then went to check the internet connection and found that the portable was not connected even though the blue connection light on the portable (HP Envy) was on. The results of trouble shooting were : "Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing one or more." So, I then did a system restore, but still no connectivity; and furthermore, I then got the XPCOM error when I tried to open Firefox.

I certainly wouldn't mind someone putting me in the right direction to fix the connectivity, but not really expecting an answer as this is not the right forum; however, I do have a couple of questions to help me fix the No XPCOM error.

I have done some searching about the XPCOM error, and I can clearly see that a FF delete and a new install is necessary.

1. In looking at the fix(es), I note that some say just use the FF uninstall, while others say uninstall using apps like Revo or Iobit to uninstall just about everything. So, which is it?

2. If one is to use Revo to its fullest, does the profile get deleted, or after the fresh install, will my profile still be usable - will I still have all my favorites and settings to use?

3. If the profile is deleted, can I use the profile on my desktop to recapture what had been lost? Or, can I use a Mozbackup to get my stuff back?
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
dfoulkes

Re: No XPCOM with a twist...

Post by dfoulkes »

1. In looking at the fix(es), I note that some say just use the FF uninstall, while others say uninstall using apps like Revo or Iobit to uninstall just about everything. So, which is it?

2. If one is to use Revo to its fullest, does the profile get deleted, or after the fresh install, will my profile still be usable - will I still have all my favorites and settings to use?

3. If the profile is deleted, can I use the profile on my desktop to recapture what had been lost? Or, can I use a Mozbackup to get my stuff back?
1. Either way.... if you use the normal Windows uninstall function it 'should' promp you about also removing your data files and those files are your profile(s) ... so, if you skip that part Windows should only uninstall Firefox. I've done that in the past and had no problems... but I always make a full profile(s) backup when I mess with that kind of stuff.

2. I don't use Revo so I can's really comment on that... except, years ago I installed Revo, ran it to uninstall T.B. and oops! ... my profile was gone... I don't remember the steps that were taken within that prodect... you know... like checking off a box that caused that profile removel... but again... backup your profiles. But you also asked... will your profile be usable if you install a new Firefox... yes... as long as you don't remove your profiles.

3. Yes to both... but I'll say this... at the top of the Mozbackup site it states...
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
MozBackup is not being developed anymore. There are known issues and there is no time on my side to fix all issues and develop new features. Use MozBackup only on your risk.
The bottom line is this... you can pretty much do any of that as long as you've made a good backup of your profiles.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I've saved my profile (also have a profile on my desktop that I could use) and have used Revo to delete FF. However, after dl'g FF in iExplorer, it wouldn't install because it was being blocked by group policy. What now?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It should only be necessary to delete the Firefox program folder to make sure that there are no leftover files that can possibly be locked by other software and thus prevent Firefox from updating all the files.
There is no need to use external software to remove files or folderss.
(32 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
(64 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Almost a disaster...
Somehow I got confused and I deleted FF from my desktop (which was my working FF) and not the portable (which was the "group policy" problem and I wanted to delete). And, when I tried to open freshly dl'd FF, I got the group policy warning again...disaster had struck! But after taking some valium and as I was doing some research on GP, I saw that GP had something to do with protecting computer from dirty downloads. And, somehow, FF was among these kinds of downloads. I have a program, CyptoPrevent, which does prevent such stuff, so I opened it and removed all of its protection, and FF 51 dl'd. I then restored from a one week old Mozbackup, and just about everything is OK.

I haven't tried to restore FF on the portable, yet. But a restore should work as Cryptoprevent is also on my portable and I now know what I'm doing...hopefully. I give it a try tomorrow and report back.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Couldn't wait and tried to get FF up and working on my portable, but ran into a problem. I deleted FF and its folders with the FF uninstall. The profile was left in its original place: C:>users>name>appData>roaming>mozilla>firefox>profiles. However, when FF was launched, it couldn't open because it couldn't find the profile. Can't wee why not???
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Flycaster wrote:I deleted FF and its folders with the FF uninstall. The profile was left in its original place: C:>users>name>appData>roaming>mozilla>firefox>profiles. However, when FF was launched, it couldn't open because it couldn't find the profile. Can't wee why not???
Ummm... Deleted? ... or did you use your Control panel functions to uninstall Firefox... because you also mention "with the FF uninstall" ... just checking on your wording.

Also, you say that the profile is still there... is there actual data and files in that folder?

If all of the data in your profile looks complete...... copy down the profile name... then I suggest that you close Firefox and then start it back up using the profile manager to see if it is listed in there... I won't further with that part until you post back.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Should have said "uninstall" and not deleted. The pathway to the profile is as noted above and appears to be correct. Furthermore, I have opened the profile and all files/folders seem to be OK (all have stuff in them.) Also, it is "available offline."

I have gone into the profile mgr and ""use selected profile...." was checked and "default" was in the profile box. My profile is xxxxxx.default. I clicked "start Firefox" and still got the same error message that the profile couldn't be loaded or that it may be inaccessible. Cryptoprevent was Off. Also, restarted computer, selected FF to open (from firefox.exe in file explorer) and got same error message.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Now I think we are on to something, but I'm not sure how to do the fix. Within profiles.ini, the profile is (for example) abcd.default, but in profile, the profile is abcd1.default. So, I'm thinking that one of these should be changed so that they are the same, but which one to change and how?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Can you paste them both in here for someone to verify them.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

LIMPET235 wrote:Can you paste them both in here for someone to verify them.
fd2fhrqx.default is in the profiles.ini

fd2fhrqx1.default is in the profile
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

1st.... just curious here... what is the modify date of the ini file... that will/should tell you when it was last updated...

2nd... I just double click on my profiles.ini file and it opened up in mo Notepad editor... but you should be able to right-click on the file and choose that app. I would close any Firefox that you have running when you make the change... so... it looks like all you should have to do is add the 1 to that line and save the file.

.. and LIMPET235 ... good thoughts on that area =D> ... we sometimes forget all the control areas in our systems. :-"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can use the Profile Manager and create a new profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Click the Choose Folder button and browse to an unregistered profile you want to use.
Firefox will recognize this profile and use it.

Note that you should never use "Choose Folder" on a folder that contains files that do not belong to Firefox.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Both profiles were updated today. I added the 1 and got FF back. Only problem which may or may not be related to my monkeying around is that I got FF 50.0.1 that is 32-bit and windows 10 is 64-bit . And, my Synaptics touchpad (v. 19.0.12.98 on my portable HP envy) is not working properly. It seems that it won't take the settings commands (it does move but no customized movements) and I'm missing devmgr.xml.