Firefox an myWay

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Otis777

Firefox an myWay

Post by Otis777 »

Please someone help!!! My Firefox browser has been usurped by the myWay browser. No matter how many times I uninstall Firefox and then reinstall it in order to get rid of myWay the Firefox logo appears, but when I click on it I get the myWay browser instead. I am using the official Mozzila.org website to download Firefox. I tried using different computers to load Firefox onto my USB stick and then install Firefox onto my computer but still myWay wont go away. I tried downloading Firefox from Internet Explorer and Chrome but whatever I do Firefox downloads but the browser is always myWay. Can anyone tell me how to rid my Firefox browser of this myWay menace? The problem began when I tried to download a user manual from the manualslib.com. (manuals library). I never received the manual. Instead I got myWay, which immediately took over my Firefox browser. Please can anyone help me remove the myWay browser and restore Firefox without every seeing myWay instead? The Firefox logo always appears but clicking it provides myWay. Desperately yours. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox an myWay

Post by DanRaisch »

When you are removing the Firefox program you may not be removing the profile folder which is often where malware like myWay attach themselves. See if this article is helpful in removing the infection -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1125389
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Otis777

Post by Otis777 »

I tried the suggestions but they appear to be very old. I am not a computer geek or wiz kid and would appreciate a complete idiots guide to getting rid of myWay. The suggestions posted are old. Windows 2010 looks nothing like Windows 2000 and windows xp to which these instructions are aimed. There is no run box in Windows 2010. If I do not have a browser because I deleted since Firefox is now a myWay browser I cannot use the Firefox tools to get to the profiles. I cannot use my own computer. I no longer have a browser and am constantly attempting to reinstall Firefox from the official Mozilla website via my USB stick but all attempts have failed and will only return the myWay browser. I am using a library computer. Is there anyone out there that can help me rid myself of myWay once and for all and restore Firefox. Would this problem occur if I change to Linux completely instead of windows. Pleas keep the instructions up to date and very simple for Windows 2010. Desperately, desperately in need of a helpful response. Thank you. Happy New year!!!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The instructions I gave you are from October 2016, 3 months old. They are current. It tells you to run three separate free tools to remove this malware that you have on your computer. Once you install them, you just run them. If you can't do that, then I recommend that you take your computer to a reputable computer repair tech.

This is a computer infection, not a Firefox infection. Until you clean your computer of this infection, you will not have a clean browser. You also have Internet Explorer and Edge browsers as a part of Windows 10 (not 2010) and, I'm sure, they are infected with this as well, but you are not without a browser.

BTW, Run is still available on Windows 10. Right click on the Start button and you will find it.
Otis777

Post by Otis777 »

Hi Daifne, Thank you very much for your help. The instructions I am referring to are not yours but refer to the profile folder above. I did try your suggestions and quell surprise - I got rid of myWay. Finally!!! After trying since Christmas. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I only tried your suggestion after I had failed with the first one. I am the first person to agree that my computer skills are not all that so I apologise. Once again thank your very much for your help. I really, really appreciate it. You are a star. Happy New Year. I hope 2017 delivers all you ask of it and more - much more.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome. Glad it's finally fixed.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

I am also afflicted with this stupid bug...

I tried following instructions to get rid of it but can't find it in the list of programs (I refuse to use 'apps') and can't seem to find a way of locating it. 'MyWay' is installed as a plug in on Firefox I recall it saying as it was all happening and I was once given the option of disabling it.

How can I now do that?
The stories of youth, of the burden of time, and the death of devotion. HCK
kerft

Post by kerft »

As above, I don't think myway is only infecting Firefox, it is infecting your whole computer. Making a new Firefox profile might make you feel like it is fixed, but it probably won't be. This is not a malware cleanup forum, although sometimes some antimalware links are posted here. Get thee to a malware cleanup forum.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

Wow... I thought I came here for some help...

Like I said, it came as a plug in and I on one occasion only saw the option to uninstall that plug in from Firefox.

Any ideas on how I do that?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

What do you mean by "apps" ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

Hang on... I found something...

I'm not sure how I found it, but here it is:

https://i.postimg.cc/1zM4d6ZK/0219removeplugins.jpg

...and it seems to have worked.
Last edited by smsmith on February 17th, 2019, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image tags as it was breaking forum layout - smsmith/moderator
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

Well, maybe...

The map thing is gone, 'Ask' is gone, I don't know about 'MyWay' but I now get Google when I open a new tab.
kerft

Post by kerft »

I apologize my humor doesn't always come through. What I mean is, if you are able to remove their extension and reset your search engine - ctrl-shift-A opens your extensions list and remove from there. After removing their extension and restarting, search engine is reset in options, then click search and pick a good search engine. If that does work, I expect the problem will come back after a reboot or in a few hours. Because I suspect the malware is still installed system-wide. In order to fully clean it, I still feel is beyond the scope of this forum.
But they might help you at one of these:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... oval-help/
https://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/forumd ... -Care-Unit
If anywhere tries to charge you a fee for help, try to find another way.

Also, answering the question about what you mean by apps could help.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

You might also try downloading and running ADWCleaner it does a good job of removed any left over keys etc..