Save extensions & preferences from Refresh

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Save extensions & preferences from Refresh

Post by dfoulkes »

Profile run command fixed...my bad
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

dfoulkes wrote:Profile run command fixed...my bad
Howdy dfoulkes,

The edit is still wrong, it should be firefox.exe -p

Cheers!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for that... and I changed it... but when I go into the profile mgr. I don't have to have the .exe in there ... I guess it's because of my Windows associations or ?? ...
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

all I want is left-click and middle-click to work as they should, not all this mumbo jumbo
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

walkerpbus wrote:all I want is left-click and middle-click to work as they should, not all this mumbo jumbo
We're assuming that something is borked in your current profile. We're suggesting that you create a new profile. If everything in the new profile works correctly, we can help you transfer necessary files to the new profile. It's not that hard.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

dfoulkes wrote:I don't have to have the .exe in there ... I guess it's because of my Windows associations or ?? ...

That's odd. It won't work on my system without the .exe, I get an error. Just a minute, I'll call Gates and ask him... :lol:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:I don't have to have the .exe in there ... I guess it's because of my Windows associations or ?? ...

That's odd. It won't work on my system without the .exe, I get an error. Just a minute, I'll call Gates and ask him... :lol:

Can I call you guys? I am FEBE saving: What if I do a complete Revo uninstall which should destroy the profile, then reinstall Firefox using Internet Explorer, put in FEBE & reinstall? Any all of you should comment on this, please. I won't be able to do this until Wednesday the 15th because my wife has dibs on the computer (I will have a laptop Monday, Tuesday. etc.)
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

walkerpbus wrote:Can I call you guys? I am FEBE saving: What if I do a complete Revo uninstall which should destroy the profile, then reinstall Firefox using Internet Explorer, put in FEBE & reinstall? Any all of you should comment on this, please. I won't be able to do this until Wednesday the 15th because my wife has dibs on the computer (I will have a laptop Monday, Tuesday. etc.)
That sounds like it will work. I don't have any experience with FEBE. Hopefully, someone else will chime in...
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

FEBE works fine here... I've restored my profile a couple of times with it...but in backing up the whole Profile option needs to be used.

Also... It sure would be much easier to close Firefox and run the profile manager... creating that new profile takes seconds ... and then based on your (walkerpbus) use of that new profile we can aid in getting it back for you.,
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

DanRaisch wrote:Preferences are things like your chosen home page, new tab page, cookie exceptions, stored passwords, etc.

If you have already refreshed Firefox (a bad idea) you can migrate data from the old profile to the new one created by the refresh process. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

If you have not yet refreshed Firefox, don't. Instead see this article and create a new profile, which is comparable to the refresh process but leaves you old profile in place so you will lose nothing. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see this article for information on backing up your Firefox profile without MozBackup -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Dan, how can I fix the problem? I don't understand.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Reboot the computer. Create a new Firefox profile. Do not make any changes to it or install any extensions or themes and see if the problem persists in that new environment. If there are no problems, install the extensions to that new profile that you were using in the old. You can then copy a few files from the old profile to the new to provide all of your bookmarks, history, passwords, etc.
The files to copy would be places.sqlite, key3.db, signons.sqlite, and cookies.sqlite.