FF opens new hidden windows on left click

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nothedoctor

FF opens new hidden windows on left click

Post by nothedoctor »

I only use Basic FF, got no smart aps or things.
In browsing an some pages, when I 'left' click on an item, sometimes there is a screen blink, many times there is no blink, and a NEW page opens in the background, If I don't pay attention, I have accumulated 10-12 of them. I usually delete them by hovering on the FF emoge, and deleting them in that display.

I would like to disable this from happening.. it is becoming irritating, as some of the pages that open are active in the background also, so the associated sounds are heard.

That is the issue, DISABLE new windows/pages that are hidden and not shown from opening on ANY left click. Is this possible ?
therube

Re: FF opens new hidden windows on left click

Post by therube »

Becoming more & more common these days.

How to stop... good question.

NoScript may help, will help - sometimes, but not always (just by virtue of blocking JavaScript).
NoScript may help in other instances, by using a "surrogate", but that is generally beyond me & could be specific to specific web pages...

Perhaps an ad blocker may help - sometimes.

Otherwise... ?

You could try to avoid the pages in question.
If enough people do similar...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Also... a link to one of your sites that does this would help... maybe having a hands-on example will come up with a cure but people here... or ?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
nothedoctor

Post by nothedoctor »

update... for info I am using Win10, and the smart screen startup has been disabled (i think) It starts up with a screen that looks very much like XP Pro desktop.
This is one site that this happens on consistently.
http:// http://www. upforsex. com /datingCenter

I have 2 other sites with the same software, and only 1 of them does this occasionally.
I hope this information helps
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 15th, 2017, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live link broken to prevent users from inadvertantly going to that site.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I visited that link but it looks like I would have to join??? in order to get into it deep enough to see what it does. I went to it with my pretty basic test profile with only an ad-blocker installed and again... I'm not joing ... but no other tabs poped up.... so, you might want to do what therube suggested... Script blocker and/or ad-blocker... these two are the ones I use...
uBlock Origin :: Add-ons for Firefox
NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
nothedoctor

Post by nothedoctor »

Thank You for the effort. I am not really up on 'techno babble' and 'geek speak' anymore but looked at the sites you offered for info... It seems that the term for what I am seeing is 'clickjack' and I am not thrilled about having things running on my PC that I do manually with common sense use.. (useless info) I have been on the internet since the 150 baud dial up modem (acoustic) with many different platforms, AND I have never had a virus on any of them. Yes I have had a browser attack, and figured out how to cure that, and stop it from happening again also.
I think that I will do nothing because it seems there is nothing malicious going on, it is just the irritation of it happening, and the extra effort to just CLOSE the windows that get opened, to prevent memory use of them..
Again I thank everybody for the effort in this. END
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

nothedoctor wrote:when I 'left' click on an item..a NEW page opens in the background
it depends on which "item" you are clicking on.. usually, when you deliberately click on an "item," you EXPECT a new webpage to open! the solution would be to not click on the "item" which causes a new webpage to be opened (if you don't want a new webpage to be opened)..

on the other hand, if you mean that you are just inadvertently clicking your mouse-button, where you are not deliberately clicking on an "item," in order to open a new webpage, it sounds like "intext-advertising" is causing the problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-text_advertising

to stop "intext-advertising" from being a problem, you could try using the "adblock plus" addon:

https://adblockplus.org/en/

if you decide to use the "adblock plus" addon, it has an option for "allow some non-intrusive advertising," which is enabled, by default.. if you want all ads to be blocked, you should untick the option for "allow some non-intrusive advertising," in adblock plus's settings:

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Last I heard, the normal thing for any browser to do when a link is clicked, is to open a new window and load the website at the link address.
In Firefox preferences, General tab, there's a checkbox that says "Open new windows in a new tab instead". If you check that box, you'll get a new (background) tab instead
of a new window.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox dont use smartscreen.
but if i a would have such popups without any blocker i would stay away from such "uncommon" sites. further the risk to get really infected from an exploit kit from such sites is 100% - there is much more bad hidden than revealed.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
therube

Post by therube »

It's probably not a "link" per say, more like an overlay that sits overtop a link (or an entire web page, or a video [player]), such that when you click the link (or click in the web page, or on the video [player]), the current page ends up duplicated (& with focus) in a new tab. The existing page (now in the background) opens an "ad" page.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i know what you speak about - open the minitool partition wizard page and try to download something.
left click opens an intermediate page for download3k or cnet while right click let me download the file directly.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

caused by a script which reacts on the click (use examine -> [ev])

while firefox is loading the file, opera do nothing.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

What you're seeing there is what's known as a Popunder. Firefox doesn't appear to have a setting to block those unfortunately.

Easily overcome though as follows.
  • 1. Install Adblock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us/?src=ss
    2. Go to your site where you get the problem and then copy/paste the URL from each of them into a Notepad file.
    3. Next, go to the Easylist forum site, Report Unblocked Content subforum and post those links there with a request to provide you with the code to block them. https://forums.lanik.us/
    4. Click the Adblock Plus button on the Firefox toolbar and then click Filter Preferences in the dropdown menu.
    5. Click the Custom filters tab.
    6. On the right hand side of the window which opens, click Add Filter.
    7. Copy/paste the code you were given into the field which appears at the top. You have to do that individually.
    8. After you've entered them all clear the Firefox browser cache. You'll find that by clicking Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced and then click the Network tab. Click the Clear Now button. If you can't see the Tools menu at the top, hit the ALT key.
    9. Finally, go test it on site where you get the problem.
You'll might still get the popunders, but they should all be blank. You can dump those easily enough by right clicking the first tab and then click "Close other tabs". If there's a tab with a site in between which you don't want to close, grab it with the mouse and move it to the left of the others. Then right click the first tab you want to close and click "Close tabs to the Right".

If there's something you don't understand please don't hesitate to ask.
nothedoctor

Post by nothedoctor »

Just to clarify the original, because it appears I was to vague. The left click is on the active page expecting that the click activates what is seen, and that happens correctly.
BUT
An entirely unrelated NEW PAGE opens in the background, they are not ADS they are full web pages, and they are active. most are related in subject to the page originally left clicked on..
the pages can be opened to the for ground and used just like any other web page. The only bad thing I experience is some of them have sound, and that is active which forces me to go and turn it off because the sounds are distracting to me.
and also, I assume that they are using up the memory of my small PC only 2gig..
I have not had any other noticeable events occur because of this. and nothing that happens creates for the windows scanner thing or any event I can see with CCleaner.
Thank You all for the posts as they do help me understand the system more..
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Can you go to this site which is just a news media for the Thai island of Phuket: http://www.phuketgazette.net/

Click on any news item you see on the page and you'll get a new window opening beneath the page. Is that similar to what you're seeing on the site you visit?
therube

Post by therube »

I'm going to have to experiment [more, & it looks to work on phuket], but... How to stop sites opening up new blank windows.

Code: Select all

noscript.surrogate.surrogate_POPUNDER.replacement;Object.defineProperty(window, 'open', {enumerable:true,get:function(){return function(){}}});

noscript.surrogate.surrogate_POPUNDER.sources;@.phuketgazette.net
(And obviously for something like that to work, you have to be using NoScript. Perhaps ? with other blockers you could do similar?)

(Does not help with partitionwizard.com.)