FF HealthReport Gives False Number of Extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
The Penguin

FF HealthReport Gives False Number of Extensions

Post by The Penguin »

When I run the Health Report from the FF51.01 menu, it tells me I have 17 extensions. I only have 12. What's going on?

The browser runs like a turtle and I am trying troubleshoot why. I suspect Mozilla has secretly loaded several extensions I am not aware of and they are slowing my browser. All kinds of things have changed since hitting FF 50 and above, it seems. I try to view videos on a number of sites (like YouTube, etc.) and the videos will not play unless I click once with my left mouse button on the video screen, then hit play again. Also, some sites won't open until I stop the loading and hit refresh. The it loads like normal.

Something is very wrong. I have this feeling that FF is under the control of Russia or China and taking us users along for the ride. [-X
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
mightyglydd

Re: FF HealthReport Gives False Number of Extensions

Post by mightyglydd »

Most likely that would be the number of extensions you installed + the (probably 5) 'extensions' that Mozilla has installed.
They are in the Mozilla Firefox/Browser/Features folder. (Not the Profile)

Try Safe Mode for the other problem.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can see all installed extensions on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" page including the system extensions that are installed in the features folder in the Firefox profile folder.
You can also check the extensions.json file to see more information about all extensions.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Click Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced and then click the Network tab. In the Cached Web Content menu in the middle, click the Clear Now button. If you can't see the Tools menu, hit the ALT key.

When Firefox runs, it caches the sites you visit to a folder and then retrieves them from there when you next want to open one of them instead of going to the site itself. That's OK except sometimes the content will have changed or is no longer present which slows down page loading. Clearing the cache forces FF to go to the actual site instead.

You can do this automatically by going to the Tools ---> Options ---> Privacy menu. In the right hand pane History menu change the layout to read: Use custom settings for history. In the list of options which appears, checkmark the box where it reads: Clear history when Firefox closes. To the right of that click the Settings button.

In the Settings for Clearing History menu which opens checkmark the box marked Cache. Or if all the boxes are already checkmarked, remove all of them except the Cache menu. Click OK to exit.

Whenever you close Firefox afterwards it will automatically delete the contents of the Cache folder. I use this myself and find it improves performance substantially.

As regards your comment about Russia or China interfering with your system, download Malwarebytes and then run a full scan: https://www.malwarebytes.com/trial/ You can use it with Real Time Protection enabled along with antivirus and protection against ransomware free for 14 days. After that it reverts to the free version albeit without real time protection (unless you signup to the Premium version).
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

Reflective: Thanks for the input. I have had Malwarebytes Pro running for the past 3 years. It is the best of its kind. But I have heard, regarding the FF cache, that having a large cache would speed up FF, not slow it down. I'll experiment more with it cleared and not - and see if I can determine something.

All in all, I am just fed up with Mozilla and its FF nonsense. Someone commented that FF programmers are advancing with security changes faster than most websites can keep up. Therefore us FF users are out of luck. I am going to retry all the main browsers (Chrome, IE, etc.) and commit to one of them. I just can't deal with FF any more after many years of use.
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Firefox has several so called "system addons" which are not listed in the addon view, only with about:support

post content from about:support (text, not raw) hee.

BTW please no early accusations

oh, seems you have finished with firefox, glad for us, maybe -> no further wrong accusations.
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

?? Accusations? Somebody's a little sensitive. The FF programmers have for years worked their butts off to create, what was, the best browser anywhere. Saying someone is putting the cart before the horse is an observation - not an accusation.
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

No but this lunacy is
Ketchup22 wrote: I have this feeling that FF is under the control of Russia or China and taking us users along for the ride. [-X
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, this is getting close to the edge. Let's drop the accusations (in both directions) so it doesn't become necessary to lock this thread.
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

Good :)
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

malliz wrote:No but this lunacy is
Ketchup22 wrote: I have this feeling that FF is under the control of Russia or China and taking us users along for the ride. [-X
Not everyone gets my sense of humor!! Sorry. :oops:
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Funniest thing about this thread is..
Brummelchen wrote:oh, seems you have finished with firefox
Chrome/57.0.2987.98 Safari/537.36 OPRAH/44.0.2510.849 (Edition beta) :badgrin: (Which is owned by the Chinese !)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

so you detected my fake user agent here ;)
and yes, a chinese consortium may hold now the majority on opera (thats different from "owned" :p), but i dont see any disadvantage for now nor i read any about hidden connections or similar. i am still using Firefox, but opera is more used for the moment. i am waiting for v57.

sorry, hidden humor? where?
Ketchup22 wrote:Something is very wrong. I have this feeling that FF is under the control of Russia or China and taking us users along for the ride. [-X
i dont see any winking emo - better luck next time with the right smiley ;)

Concerning system addons again:
http://gecko.readthedocs.io/en/latest/t ... ddons.html
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/29/mozill ... -controls/

overview (sorry, only german, watch the images - current, outdated and upcoming system addons)
https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefo ... n-firefox/
Last edited by Brummelchen on March 23rd, 2017, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote:so you detected my fake user agent here
Right, sure, it's faked :---)
Brummelchen wrote:opera is more used for the moment.
@ The Oprah BROWSER is 100% owned by the Chinese.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All of which has nothing at all to do with the HealthReport that this thread is supposed to be addressing. Please drop the dreck and stick to the topic.