firefox icon now with white background?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
karenanne

firefox icon now with white background?

Post by karenanne »

I installed the latest firefox a week or two ago, and the icon no longer lets the desktop background show through around the fox and planet. Instead it sits in a white square. Is this deliberate? It is not very attractive.
Reflective

Re: firefox icon now with whote background?

Post by Reflective »

deleted post.
Last edited by Reflective on February 24th, 2017, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Reflective, doesn't that option relate to the "hamburger button" within Firefox rather than to a desktop shortcut? I thought the OS controlled the look of the shortcuts on the desktop.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

DanRaisch wrote:Reflective, doesn't that option relate to the "hamburger button" within Firefox rather than to a desktop shortcut? I thought the OS controlled the look of the shortcuts on the desktop.
Sorry, you're right. I didn't read the OP properly and missed the bit about the desktop shortcut.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

karenanne wrote:I installed the latest firefox a week or two ago, and the icon no longer lets the desktop background show through around the fox and planet. Instead it sits in a white square. Is this deliberate? It is not very attractive.
The desktop shortcut on my machine has the fox icon sitting in a white square as well. But I have Windows 8.1 and that has the option to pin the shortcut to the title bar so I don't use the desktop shortcut. You can create a shortcut to Windows XP "Quick Launch bar" by following instructions in this tutorial: http://www.air-it.co.uk/2011/10/5-usefu ... ws-tricks/
karenanne

Re: firefox icon now with white background?

Post by karenanne »

I thought this was as simple as someone forgetting to set the background to transparent, but no. And there are a bunch of bug reports for different systems going back years.

So I hacked up a fix. I couldn't find a transparent background icon that was actually transparent, so I copied one into Paint, and fortunately Fill worked, with a color I picked that was a semi-match to the desktop background. Then I used zamzar to translate the jpg to ico. It turns out Properties has a change icon button that I never noticed before. The results is Good Enough For Government Work.

Now to fix the f.lux icon, which has a different problem.