Screen Tearing Only in Firefox (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
applesea

Screen Tearing Only in Firefox (Linux)

Post by applesea »

I get screen tearing only in Firefox on Fedora 25 Linux and no other web browser available. I tried with and without hardware acceleration and reinstalling firefox, refreshing it, starting it in safe mode, but get screen tearing in full screen videos, but not while scrolling whatsoever. It specifically happens watching videos off youtube or any other site. What solutions could fix this other than switching browsers?
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 27th, 2017, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linux added to subject line.
Grumpus

Re: Screen Tearing Only in Firefox (Linux)

Post by Grumpus »

Which version of Fedora 25 are you running, Gnome or KDE?
Reason is media support packages and controls.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
applesea

Post by applesea »

Gnome. KDE gives screen tearing as well.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Have you checked the updates for media support?

In Firefox
Look at the /Edit/Preferences/Content page and see if you have enabled DRM
Which media player are you using Flash or with DRM checked Widevines?
I haven't seen this with hardware acceleration enabled but try turning that off and see what happens.
Also you could temporarily disable Widevines or Flash to see if it happens with both.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
applesea

Post by applesea »

I tried all of that and nothing fixed it. Screen tearing happens specifically in the firefox browser only and watching fullscreen videos (HTML and Flash). It tears on Gnome 3 with firefox but not Google Chrome. It doesn't tear at all on Cinnamon, and Unity for either browsers, and all browsers tear with KDE and XFCE. Why would this be such an issue and what solutions would anyone recommend? All desktop environments were tested on the same hardware and distribution of Fedora 25.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I ran Fedora 25 for a couple of weeks and it seemed to not have any issues with screen tearing in the Gnome configuration.
Firefox 51 ran fairly smooth but I did not update to 52 on Fedora as I removed the system due to remote access and unstoppable downloads of update information.
There was a lot of background/backdoor stuff going on which could have caused the issue but I only ran it in the Gnome and not the KDE.
Have you tried updating the firmware package and have you checked your monitor settings in each of the various system versions/desktops you tried?
Have you checked to see if your ICC is up to date and if the Mhz match what the system shows and what your monitor show?
applesea

Post by applesea »

Everything is up to date, including nvidia drivers.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Best I could suggest is see if there is anything on the Fedora boards with current nvidia card or display issues.
If your processor has on board graphics you could try using that without the nvidia card and see what happens.
I'm thinking when you switch to full screen something is not duplicating the resolution which might be a card or driver issue.
If you use the yum extender see if there are any Linux based nvidia card updates using "available."
Since it occurs with different platforms it's more than likely a driver or some other issue relative to the platform, not necessarily Firefox.
I've never had screen tearing with system but have had some odd displays with resolution changes.