Google Search settings not saved

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
vikasa

Google Search settings not saved

Post by vikasa »

Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows 7

I do all my Google searches in a https://addons.mozilla.org/nn-no/firefo ... rivate-tab for several years. I have setup an exception to always allow cookies from google.com to be saved because I am signed in to my Google account from my non-private tabs and I want those to remain signed in when I restart Firefox.

All this was working fine. Starting few days ago, the private tab refuses to remember my Google search settings, I have to go into Settings and set them every time I restart Firefox. The most important (for me) is the setting to open search results in a new browser tab.

Did Google change something or Firefox did? How can I get the previous behavior back?

Thanks
dickvl

Re: Google Search settings not saved

Post by dickvl »

You can't remember website settings that are stored in a cookie across a session when you are in private browsing mode.
In PB mode all cookies are session cookies that expire automatically when you close Firefox or close all PB mode windows.
There are two independent cookie jars, one for normal mode and one for PB mode.
All PB mode data is kept in memory and is never stored to the profile folder, so I'm not sure how you were previously able to keep these settings.
You should be able to keep the settings as long as you do not close Firefox.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Also... I see that that extension was updted on March 6th ... is that about the date that your problem started?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

You can right click a link and then click "Open link in new private window". Not quite the same as opening it a new tab I know, but it's an alternative way of doing it. Also, you don't have to have private browsing enabled.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The extension previously wasn't multi-process compatible (no multiprocessCompatible flag in install.rdf), but is now mp compatible, so that might be a possibility to investigate as multi-process windows was blocked by an incompatible extension.

Code: Select all

<em:multiprocessCompatible>true</em:multiprocessCompatible>