(*)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

(*)

Post by Odin2 »

I've occasionally seen the subject string inserted into the title of a tab, immediately following the icon. (This is a tab displaying the same page as a bookmark--and the string does not appear in the bookmark title.) I'm wondering if anyone can explain that.
lovemyfoxy

Re: (*)

Post by lovemyfoxy »

It's the title of the page, taken from the titlebar of the window.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Probably something similar to the tab with Twitter on it changing to something like "(26) Twitter" when there are new tweets to look at. The web page has changed the title and so the tab reflects the change.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Mark. I'll be on the lookout for that next time I see the (*).
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

After over a month I'm encountering the same phenomenon--and the above comments don't explain (unless I'm missing something). The tab title for this very site suddenly starts with (*)--and in addition this time there's bullet following [before the name as assigned by me].
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

1: Safe Mode ?
2: New test Profile ?
Odin2 wrote:Fx in safe mode displays the site in question with no problem. So it's likely the problem is caused by one of my multitudinous extensions, and your responses indicate that it's not Flash. Rather than spend time I don't have in tracking down the real culprit, I'll just use another browser to view this page.

Time to do some Spring Cleaning......
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Screenshot?
Where does this occur?
One typical meaning of an * is "dirty", meaning that the topic has changed since you last visited.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I just went to another tab and the title is OK... started up my test profile and went to the same site... title is OK.... went to 'this' page and I got (*) -bullethole ... the mozillaZine. So, I supposen that Firefox is just trying to give the user at least a little info about the page? ... no buggy to me.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Firefox is just trying to give the user at least a little info about the page?
What info?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

The (*) • shows up on the tab of this page. Note that the HTML for this page includes

Code: Select all

<title>(*) &bull; mozillaZine Forums </title>
So as LoveMyFoxy noted, it is the title of the page as programed into the page HTML.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Odin2 wrote:--and the string does not appear in the bookmark title.) I'm wondering if anyone can explain that.
The page title is the default name of bookmarks in all the browers I've used - but the bookmark name is editable, so one supposes that if a bookmark name is different than
the tab/window title, then the bookmark name must have been edited at some point. Page titles are frequently unsuitable for use as bookmark names as they are
often excessively verbose, read like adverts, etc.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Sometimes a website modifies its title via JavaScript if the page gets updated via XHR to make it possible for a browser to detect that the page has been updated (i.e. the tab gets unread status in such a case) and the URL stays the same, so the page still shows as bookmarked (highlighted star).