Firefox Font Color Problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RazzMaTazz007

Firefox Font Color Problem

Post by RazzMaTazz007 »

Version I'm using:

Laptop OS: Windows 7 64bit (Intel i3-2370M / 2.4Ghz / 8gb RAM)

My problem some fonts turned white when mouse gets hovered or just completely white this started ever since i started using version 50+

Examples:

Original

When Mouse pointer gets hovered.

More Examples

Reflective

Re: Firefox Font Color Problem

Post by Reflective »

In about:config what do you have gfx.color_management.mode set to? The default setting is 2.

Does the same thing happen when you restart Firefox in Safe Mode?

If doing that solves the problem then one (or more) of your extensions is the culprit.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ RazzMaTazz007 - Looks like external system theme issue. Try Windows default one. It could be also that others extensions (mainly GUI related) are incompatible with Classic Theme Restorer, so try disabling them.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
therube

Post by therube »

Any change when you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RazzMaTazz007

Post by RazzMaTazz007 »

Reflective wrote:In about:config what do you have gfx.color_management.mode set to? The default setting is 2.

Does the same thing happen when you restart Firefox in Safe Mode?

If doing that solves the problem then one (or more) of your extensions is the culprit.
therube wrote:Any change when you restart in Safe Mode?
gfx.color_management.mode its in default setting of 2

as for the Safe Mode i tested it out and the problem still occurs
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ RazzMaTazz007 - Looks like external system theme issue. Try Windows default one. It could be also that others extensions (mainly GUI related) are incompatible with Classic Theme Restorer, so try disabling them.
Yeah probably something on my windows setting is messing with firefox i tested it on my brother's pc with the same version of firefox (64bit), extensions and its settings and the font color problem did not show up.
RazzMaTazz007

Post by RazzMaTazz007 »

It seems this was the culprit

I'm not sure if i have changed the settings in the past that caused my problem or just a weird issue on Firefox 50+.
TakuSkan

Post by TakuSkan »

RazzMaTazz007 wrote:It seems this was the culprit

I'm not sure if i have changed the settings in the past that caused my problem or just a weird issue on Firefox 50+.
This white font issue has dogged me for the past couple of months. Razz's solution here worked for 1 PC running Windows 7. But no such "Windows Color and Appearance" menu exists in Windows 10 anymore. Following the advise on this web page https://superuser.com/questions/949920/ ... d-in-win10 I had to modify the following key in registry:
  • HKCU > Control Panel > Colors > Hilight Text > 0 0 0
The odd thing is that Firefox in my other Windows 7 PC did not have this problem with the white font. There was no need to change the font color to black in "Windows Color and Appearance"
seeley

Post by seeley »

Seems that something changed with Firefox. I used the same Windows 7 theme for 5-6 years and Firefox was never effected. When I updated FF to a recent version, that's when the issue occurred. WHAT CHANGED with FF in their coding???

There should be an override setting to force FF not to use system colors. As far as I'm concerned, this is a Firefox bug which was never fixed.
Last edited by seeley on September 12th, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

seeley wrote:Seems that something changed with Firefox. I used the same Windows 7 theme for 5-6 years and Firefox was never effected. When I updated FF to a recent version, that's when the issue occurred. WHAT CHANGED with FF???

There should be an override setting to force FF not to use system colors. As far as I'm concerned, this is a Firefox bug which was never fixed.
Copy/paste the text in the bold font in the location bar and then click the Colors button: about:preferences#content
If there's a checkmark in "Use system colors", remove it.

If it's already blank, try using the fix RazzMaTazz007 used.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Reflective wrote:
seeley wrote:Seems that something changed with Firefox. I used the same Windows 7 theme for 5-6 years and Firefox was never effected. When I updated FF to a recent version, that's when the issue occurred. WHAT CHANGED with FF???

Copy/paste the text in the bold font in the location bar and then click the Colors button: about:preferences#content
If there's a checkmark in "Use system colors", remove it.

If it's already blank, try using the fix RazzMaTazz007 used.
Thanks but that was always unchecked. Haven't touched that setting in years. I tried toggling it on and off in case something was stuck, but no luck. It's something FF changed which now uses windows color properties differently when before they didn't. Specifically, these FF dialog box buttons have white text because the text under "Selected Items" item under "Windows Color and Appearance" is white. That's merely a workaround to sacrifice the windows theme.

I'm trying to figure out what Firefox did which caused this issue. If I could fix it myself, I would. I was looking around in omni.ja but I have no idea what I'm doing. Like I said, earlier versions of FF caused NO color issues with my windows 7 setup and now it does. Firefox is the variable. Not windows.

Also, I opened a SuperUser question about this here: https://superuser.com/questions/1246792 ... ext-labels#_=_

Also, my bookmark separators are white or not visible. That's because that color is dependent on Windows 3-D color under "Windows Color and Appearance". They used to be grey rules. What a shame. Jesus. I reverted back to windows 47 which looks and works fine.