Firefox no longer able to create searchable PDF files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pcguy99

Firefox no longer able to create searchable PDF files

Post by pcguy99 »

Over the past week I wasted several hours trying to create a searchable PDF file from a series of past orders from Dell Canada's website. I wanted to print to one PDF the contents of each order with the result that the output would be a text searchable PDF file that I could also highlight certain textual passages in the PDF. Try as I might the result was always the same in Firefox 52 in Windows7 x64. The resulting PDF was graphical only aka it could not be searched. I used FoxIT Reader PDF printer, Nitro Pro PDF printer, PDF X-Change's PDF printer as well as several others. I then tried the same thing in Chrome. No diffierence. Then in Chrome I tried the built in save as PDF. That did result in a searchable PDF that I could highlight and search for text. I then tried IE 11 and it had no problem with any of these PDF printers. The result was that the PDFs were searchable.

What has happened to Firefox? Have they abandoned the capability to create searchable PDFs?
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox no longer able to create searchable PDF files

Post by DanRaisch »

Nitro Reader5 still produces searchable PDFs here with Firefox 52 under Win 10. Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

DanRaisch wrote:Nitro Reader5 still produces searchable PDFs here with Firefox 52 under Win 10. Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes I forgot to mention that I did launch Firefox into safe mode without any effect. I have Nitro Pro 11 PDF and its PDFs are strictly graphics only without any option for searchable. Same ith FoxIT PDF reader PDF printer, PDF Factory Pro
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Do, or do not. There is no try.
therube

Post by therube »

print to one PDF
So these print to PDF's, (in FF) they're all accomplished through a File | Print to an external program driver?
Have you tried FF's built-in PDF?
Now thinking it doesn't have one.
Was probably thinking of its screenshot capability.

I would think that what gets "printed" would depend on what you are served?
Perhaps in the case of Chrome's "PDF" print, you're served html where the other plugins are receiving an "image"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i think the problem is depending on disabling all plugins except flash - and he had used one of those in the past for reading pdf in firefox.

as usual i write - dont view in browser - download instead. viewing in browser with plugin means the complete reader is loaded in background anyway so it makes no difference between this and that.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

therube wrote:
print to one PDF
So these print to PDF's, (in FF) they're all accomplished through a File | Print to an external program driver?
Have you tried FF's built-in PDF?
Now thinking it doesn't have one.
Was probably thinking of its screenshot capability.

I would think that what gets "printed" would depend on what you are served?
Perhaps in the case of Chrome's "PDF" print, you're served html where the other plugins are receiving an "image"?
In the case of Chrome the same problem occurs if I use one of the PDF printers installed on Windows7. The resultant PDF is neither searchable nor is one able to hightlight any of the words. Just like in Firefox 52 using these same PDF printers.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

Brummelchen wrote:i think the problem is depending on disabling all plugins except flash - and he had used one of those in the past for reading pdf in firefox.

as usual i write - dont view in browser - download instead. viewing in browser with plugin means the complete reader is loaded in background anyway so it makes no difference between this and that.
As I indicated I booted into FIrefox Safe Mode and this had no effect on the issue.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try downloading and testing Nitro Reader 5 in place of the pro version.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

I tried Nitro Reader 5 and seems it is inconsistent giving me "occurrence of user-interacted or failed conversion" errors sometimes when it goes to create the actual PDF. I went as far as uninstall Nitro PDF Pro entirely and the result is still the same. Over the years others have reported this same error with no definitive solution. Some indicated it was because a NitroPDF service was not running although in my case the service was indeed running.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Very odd. I'm sorry to hear that didn't work out.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox safe-mode dont disable plugins
If firefox prints as images into pdf its a matter of pdf printer. creating searchable pdf is matter of pdf printer.
i dont have any issue with priPrinter (another pdf printer) - if i print to it i get proper results in can search.

thats what i am trying to tell you. try firefox 51.0.1 portable if you find it (from a trustable source) to verify the difference in using plugins.

nitro reader free is a limited editor like pdf-x change editor/viewer, few features are free, the rest have to be paid. using it in firefox needs the plugin which is no longer usable in v52. same story another tool.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking due to the age of the original posts.