"do this automatically for files like this" does not work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
johnoh

"do this automatically for files like this" does not work

Post by johnoh »

Hi all,
Two questions really..

First, even though firefox 52.0 (and all previous versions I've used) DOES remember which app to open files with, it ALWAYS presents me with the dialogue box and asks "what do you want to do with this file?". Nothing is greyed out, it does know the application that I want to open the file with, and the box is indeed checked that says "remember this from now on". However, it NEVER remembers from now on, it always asks again the next time.

Specifically, if I go the the https://fred.stlouisfed.org site, click on any data series, click on download, then click on CSV, I want it to then immediately download the file and open it with Excel. But it does not download and open immediately, I must always click "open" on the dialogue that asks what I want to do with the file, as it dos noet seem to remember that I already told it last time what to do. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Question two has to do with searching. Before posting this question I tried to do a search here, and an advanced search, on this exact phrase: "do this automatically for files like this". However it appears that searching on an exact phrase is not possible on this site, so all the hits I got were not relevant. Is it actually not possible to search on an exact phrase? Maybe I am missing something. I tried using quotes and parentheses but neither worked, and basically all the hits I got were just threads with the word "automatically" in them.

thanks!

Edit: Actually firefox DOES remember and I can immediately I download from yahoo, at say, this link... fwiw

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC ... ?p=%5EGSPC
kreemoweet

Re: "do this automatically for files like this" does not wor

Post by kreemoweet »

It depends on the response headers sent with the file by the server. If there's a "Content-Disposition: attachment" header, FF will not do anything "automatically" (except show the dialog). This is by design of FF devs.
That's been their seriously anti-user interpretation of the web standards for a long time. Boggles the mind, it does.
johnoh

Re: "do this automatically for files like this" does not wor

Post by johnoh »

Thank you. I had thought that header produced a greyed out "always" box, and so was hoping my situation was different...