Firefox sync upload/download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
glenncz

Firefox sync upload/download

Post by glenncz »

I'm mixed up on Sync.
I have 3 different computers with firefox, "mostly" the same bookmarks. One is the Master set.
when it syncs? Does it sync up or down, can I tell it to do that?
I don't want to get set up right with the Master set synced, then sign in with "second" computer where I am fine with computer booksmarks being replaced with Online file (from Master), but find that it replaces online file with "secondary" computer.

Does Chrome work the same way?

I'm reading google searches, but someone no one seems to mention this "upload" or "download" problem. I don't want to get all screwed up.

A home bound blizzard day will make one think of these things and finally hopefully get them right.
the-edmeister

Re: Firefox sync upload/download

Post by the-edmeister »

With desktop / laptop PC's, bookmarks are made the same across all those devices. "Mobile" devices are treated slightly different. There are no "master" or "slave" devices with Sync.

Never used Chrome, so I can't answer that.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
glenncz

Post by glenncz »

I don't know why this is so hard to answer because it is a good question.

I sign in with Computer 1 that has bookmarks abcd. So they are now on Moz.

Then I open Computer 2 that has bookmarks efgh. What happens? Do efgh get replaced with abcd or do they get added to abcd or abcd get replaced with efgh?

The problem is I have 6 computers, with one Master set, and I don't want to get it ruined.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
May I suggest that "You back-up your Profile" on the "Master" M/C?
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

&, As I do not use or know of how Sync actually functions, perhaps this may be a way to transfer the Bookmarks...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks
Read it carefully, because...
Note: In Firefox 3, imported bookmarks are added to the end of your Bookmarks Menu. This means, for instance, that bookmarks from exported Firefox 3 bookmarks will have the imported bookmark folders (Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu, and Unsorted Bookmarks) added to the end of the existing Bookmarks Menu and you will have to check the nesting and move wanted imported bookmarks where you want them and remove any unwanted folders and bookmarks left over from the import. To restore your Firefox 3 bookmarks to a state before the import you can use the "Import and Backup -> Restore" option in the Library window and select an available backup.
Sorry, but I don't know of any other way.
Maybe someone can elaborate on Sync for you.

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

From my experience my bookmarks sync by what was last touched. I have two computers synced, and if I add/remove a bookmark from one, it will sync to match on the other machine. It's tricky if you already have bookmarks that are different, and then enable sync. I think sync gets confused, and messes them up. The best way is to start fresh. Disable bookmarks from sync. Delete all bookmarks from the computers that are wrong. Enable sync on the one that has the correct set of bookmarks, and then enable each computer one by one to sync them. They should all be the same afterwards, and keep them the same when one computer changes.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

glenncz wrote:I don't know why this is so hard to answer because it is a good question.

I sign in with Computer 1 that has bookmarks abcd. So they are now on Moz.

Then I open Computer 2 that has bookmarks efgh. What happens? Do efgh get replaced with abcd or do they get added to abcd or abcd get replaced with efgh?

The problem is I have 6 computers, with one Master set, and I don't want to get it ruined.
What's so hard to understand about the answer that I provided?

Sync is derived from synchronize = to cause to go on, move, operate, work, etc., at the same rate and exactly together

abcd on computer 1 get added to efgh on computer 2 - and efgh get added to abcd on computer 1 - so the Firefox bookmarks on each computer are the same

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
glenncz

Post by glenncz »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:From my experience my bookmarks sync by what was last touched. I have two computers synced, and if I add/remove a bookmark from one, it will sync to match on the other machine. It's tricky if you already have bookmarks that are different, and then enable sync. I think sync gets confused, and messes them up. The best way is to start fresh. Disable bookmarks from sync. Delete all bookmarks from the computers that are wrong. Enable sync on the one that has the correct set of bookmarks, and then enable each computer one by one to sync them. They should all be the same afterwards, and keep them the same when one computer changes.
Yes, I think that would be the answer. Just sync the Master computer and then delete all bookmarks in in other computers before I sign in. One of my reasons for this question though is that I was fooling with this a couple years ago and have an account, so I'm also afraid that if I sign in my Master and Sync, then it's going to load up my Master Firefox with a book mark file(or at least append them) from a few years ago. Just like I hope it would if I logged in a Slave that had no bookmarks. Of course I could always test it on one of my slave computers or just backup before I started playing with it.

I assume the Sign in sync has to be download when you sign in. Except maybe for the very first time you do it. Of course I "get it" after you sign in (after something? happens up or down) that any changes to the computer bookmarks will change the cloud file.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

glenncz wrote:
BobbyPhoenix wrote:From my experience my bookmarks sync by what was last touched. I have two computers synced, and if I add/remove a bookmark from one, it will sync to match on the other machine. It's tricky if you already have bookmarks that are different, and then enable sync. I think sync gets confused, and messes them up. The best way is to start fresh. Disable bookmarks from sync. Delete all bookmarks from the computers that are wrong. Enable sync on the one that has the correct set of bookmarks, and then enable each computer one by one to sync them. They should all be the same afterwards, and keep them the same when one computer changes.
Yes, I think that would be the answer. Just sync the Master computer and then delete all bookmarks in in other computers before I sign in. One of my reasons for this question though is that I was fooling with this a couple years ago and have an account, so I'm also afraid that if I sign in my Master and Sync, then it's going to load up my Master Firefox with a book mark file(or at least append them) from a few years ago. Just like I hope it would if I logged in a Slave that had no bookmarks. Of course I could always test it on one of my slave computers or just backup before I started playing with it.

I assume the Sign in sync has to be download when you sign in. Except maybe for the very first time you do it. Of course I "get it" after you sign in (after something? happens up or down) that any changes to the computer bookmarks will change the cloud file.
Yes after you first sign in, and start syncing, it will bring all bookmarks it has on the server to the computer. Like you said (the best way I found) you can backup your bookmarks. I export them to my desktop, and then sync. If something goes wrong I just delete all bookmarks, and then sync, then import my saved bookmarks, and sync again. Then all my computers will have the correct ones again (this is when I add a new computer/profile). It's only the initial setup that is tricky if you have different bookmarks on different computers syncing. Once you finally get it all straight you shouldn't have any problems in the future.
Do, or do not. There is no try.