Firefox 52 hangs with not responding normal & safe mode

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
diverjer

Firefox 52 hangs with not responding normal & safe mode

Post by diverjer »

Firefox 52, 64 bit, hangs with not responding on just one web site, does same in safe mode, works fine in Internet Explore. It did this same thing prior to version 52. I can go to http://www.dillons.com and to their login page to enter password and user name with no problems. After I enter username/password it hangs with not responding. Also hangs when using FF safe mode. Works fine when using IE. When closing FF, I do get the following:

Hang Signature: 9243

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 92439f4438622725d72c1ea57ed15bde

Additional Hang Signature 2: 38dd

Additional Hang Signature 3: 38ddc66ce80b5ddd8d77b4172ab451cd

Additional Hang Signature 4: 9243

Additional Hang Signature 5: 92439f4438622725d72c1ea57ed15bde

Additional Hang Signature 6: 38dd

Additional Hang Signature 7: 38ddc66ce80b5ddd8d77b4172ab451cd
Last edited by diverjer on March 18th, 2017, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 52 hangs with not responding normal & safe mode

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

DanRaisch wrote:Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).

Sorry, I should have added some of the things I tried. I did as you suggested only I used CookieKeeper and deleted all cookies. Also cleared cache under Advance Network. Did that several times and restarted Firefox as well as restarting Windows 7. That is a great idea and one of the first things I try when having problems, usually it always helps, but not in this case.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

One other thing I did was clear history, cache and all cookies, restart FF with no active tabs. Usually I have about five tabs going. But even with one tab, it still hangs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

That process went smoothly, but didn't make any differences. I can tell from Internet Explore that FF is trying to load a lot of pictures of grocery items, Dillons/Kroger is a grocery store. The web site gets info from both Kroger and Dillon sites. I did notice I am missing addons OpenH264 Video Codex and Widevine Content Decryption Module. Both say they will be loaded shortly, but they don't get loaded. I think it is something to do with Ver 52 of FF. Only Shockwave Flash loaded as an addon. Maybe I will go back to version 50 or just use IE for Dillon web site.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Version 52 removed support for Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) plugins other than Flash. Silverlight, Java, Acrobat and the like are no longer supported. Note that these are plug-ins, not extensions, both of which constitute "add-ons".
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Thanks for the update, I think I better understand now. It seems the browser is trying to do internally what the addons were doing to make things more secure. This may cause some of the developers from various sites issues they need to fix as they depend on the plugins and there are some differences. For years I have used Noscripts as I have had concerns about what web sites are sending out. Since I only have one web site so far giving problems and then only after signing into the site, I will stay at FF 52. Well just use IE when going to and signing into dillons.com.
therube

Post by therube »

(Your URL in the first post is incorrect, I gather.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Yes it was and is now corrected. I still get the error and it is very strange.

When I got an email yesterday from Dillons, I did what I usually don't do, clicked on an email link to login. It went to what appeared visually to be same login page and FF filled in username/password and login went in fine, did not hang with FF not responding. Usually, I don't click on email links, usually I would go to dillons.com, then click on the signin button and then get login page that FF fills in and then we get the error FF not responding.

I said page visually appeared the same, the URLs were different. They start out same, but after the .com/ there were differences. I notice there is a FF update 52.0.1, after image I will update FF.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Latest FF 52.0.1 didn't make any difference. Tested several times, always cleared cache, all cookies and history before testing. Didn't mention earlier when it hangs, I have seen two different status in lower right corner of FF screen. One is - waiting on www.kroger.com The other is - transferring data from dillon...................

Since Dillons is one of many chains owned by Krogers, I always see both URLs.

Like I said before, I can live with it by using IE or as I found out use the link via an email from Dillons.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure what the exact problem is with that site... but I just tried this...

In my Test profile I only use u-block-origin as an ad blocker and when I opened up that URL in that test profile it loaded very quickly... then I disabled that extension, refreshed that page and it never totally loaded... the I enabled that extension again, refreshed... then it loaded fine... maybe a 3rd party ad is messing stuff up? ... don't know, but you might try...if you already use an ad-blocker ... disable it first.
uBlock Origin :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

In FF options/content I do have checked block popup windows. Will uncheck that and see what happens. I don't have any extensions to block popup, I do run noscripts, but I have tested in safe mode, so I would think they would all be disabled.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Unchecked block popup and didn't make any difference. Tried in regular mode and safe mode with cookies cleared, cache cleared and history cleared. If I load it from the email it always work, but that is because it is loading my account page and not the advertisements page. So there is something strange that FF doesn't like on that page. That ad page changes every week, so will try next week. As I said all works well in IE.

Oh one more thing, in safe mode I get a crash report, only in safe mode. Regular mode just says FF not responding. I did send crash report to FF.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Like I said... with ads coming in... it never loaded... you might want to check out that extension.

As for crash reports... it would not hurt to copy/paste your last crash-link to here... not the whole report... just the link... others may see the direct cause.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!