FireFox opens new Window when i move my mouse

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lyleholc

FireFox opens new Window when i move my mouse

Post by lyleholc »

Hello,

I routinely experience an issue when running FireFox. I have a few tabs open and want to return to one of them. Firefox then opens that tab in a new window. It also will open a new window sometimes just when I move my mouse. Is there a fix for this?

Thank you.
dfoulkes

Re: FireFox opens new Window when i move my mouse

Post by dfoulkes »

There are a couple of basic tests that user are to check out... here is the main one ... and since you say that you have the problem routinely this test may indicate something... especially if the problem goes away in this mode...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

The other thing... mouse drivers up to date? ... or, is your mouse realllll old?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lyleholc

Post by lyleholc »

Thank you. I will do this and keep track of things for a bit.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Current Firefox versions have a feature called tear-off tabs.
You can detach a tab from the current window and open it in a new window by dragging a tab in the browser window.
You can also do this via the right-click context menu of a tab: Move to New Window
You can drag that tab back to the tab bar in the original window to undo that detaching.
So make sure that you do not move the mouse down in the browsing area when you click a tab on the Tab bar.

bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab):
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... tach-and-t
lyleholc

Post by lyleholc »

Very interesting. That could be contributing. I'll be careful of that. Thank you!
lyleholc

Post by lyleholc »

My situation is that FireFox is opening a new window when go to another tab or just move my mouse. Then there are 2 windows, one with all the existing tabs except the tab that now opens in a new Window. So in my Windows desktop now there are 2 windows and I don't see a way to merge them. So I think this is not a context menu, just plain windows.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I just 'pulled down' a Tab and it was removed from my main window and it opened up a new window with only that one tab in it... I don't know of a way to 'send it back' to my main window... about the only thing that I can do is copy the URL and paste it to my main window and go from there...

If you are not purposely tearing off that tab to make that new window then you need to work with that profile in safe-mode for awhile to see if it happens... if the problem goes away then it's most likely an extension causing the issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lyleholc

Post by lyleholc »

Hello, I'm not using tear-off tabs, but thank you!
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Tearing off tabs to create a new window is a built-in feature... right click on a tab to see the options... perfect trap for a sticky mouse button,
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lyleholc

Post by lyleholc »

Thank you. Good thought!