Firefox not opening on iMac?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox not opening on iMac?

Post by dfoulkes »

I've seen Dan post this for others with similar problems.... I'll assume for now that it covers all OS's .... maybe he will come along and correct me if I'm wrong... so, you might want to wait a bit.
DanRaisch wrote:When you uninstalled did you remove the program's installation directory? If not:
Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

If you did do that, does the same start up problem occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kukla

Post by kukla »

dfoulkes wrote:I've seen Dan post this for others with similar problems.... I'll assume for now that it covers all OS's .... maybe he will come along and correct me if I'm wrong... so, you might want to wait a bit.
DanRaisch wrote:When you uninstalled did you remove the program's installation directory? If not:
Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

If you did do that, does the same start up problem occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Most of those files will not be found on OS X. Mac file system/paths to file not organized that way To locate/remove everything Firefox, and in turn Mozilla, download, install and run FindAnyFile ($6, no need to pay anything until you're ready, but good idea at some point, since the developer has created a great little program (hit the download v1.8.9 button.)
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Running the program as Root will search in locations not normally accessible. To do that, hit the Find button with the Option key pressed, and then enter your admin password when requested. The Find button will change to Find All. As root, you will be able to trash and delete immediately, so be careful to only remove Firefox or Mozilla items. You can also add a choice. My screenshot shows Modification date (there are other options.) You can set that to any time you like. Play around with it a bit first. Searching and removing with FAF will almost certainly catch everything--although not necessary to get absolutely everything off. I run FAF when I want to be certain to completely uninstall a program and any of its related files. Post back with any questions. Note: folders/directories such as private and usr are normally hidden/invisible, but often contain associated files.

I wouldn't think that a complete OS reinstall will be necessary. Another thing to try is to create a new admin user from scratch, from Users & Groups, and test to see if FF will install and run properly there. If it does, then something in your current user is responsible.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Most of those files will not be found on OS X
Thanks for posting all of that... my knowledge about Mac = 0 ... I was hoping that
somebody who knew what they were talking about would come along... :lol: :-"
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kukla

Post by kukla »

dfoulkes wrote:
Most of those files will not be found on OS X
Thanks for posting all of that... my knowledge about Mac = 0 ... I was hoping that
somebody who knew what they were talking about would come along... :lol: :-"
You're welcome, and conversely, my knowledge of Windows = 0. :)

To the OP: Please don't be shy about asking any follow up questions. Doing this may be a bit daunting at first.

Before nuking all those files, simplest and probably best is to start with a new Profile for testing purposes:

For that, open Terminal.app in Applications>Utilities, copy/paste and hit Return. You won't lose the current profile and you can switch back and forth by entering this command in Terminal.

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -P

This is what you'll see. TEST is the name of my current profile. Hit Create New Profile and give it a name. Do this with FF closed.