Firefox not opening on iMac?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Thandersen

Firefox not opening on iMac?

Post by Thandersen »

So I just got the latest version of Firefox (52.0.1) for my iMac, however every time I try opening it, it either stops working so I have to alt + cmd + esc it or it simply doesn't open? There are no error messages and I have downloaded the .dmg version (of course!). I tried downloading it several times, however it is the same story over and over again...

I have been reading a few tips here and here, however non of that helps. Thank you for all inputs! =D>
Last edited by Thandersen on March 30th, 2017, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thandersen

Re: Firefox not opening on iMac?

Post by Thandersen »

Would appreciate any feedback on this? Should I try download an earlier version or what can be done? I just recently bought my iMac, tried getting used to Safari, however it is lacking in so many ways and I am not really a big fan of Chrome - even though that is still better than Safari.. Would really like to get back to Firefox!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox Support
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In that version that you installed in your Mac... was that version tested 'before' you started making changes to your profile? ... or, did you backup/restore your profile from your prior system?

You might want to see if you can get Firefox running via the Safe-mode routine... and/or maybe create a new profile and check out that profile before doing any changes to it...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

Daifne wrote:Moving to Firefox Support
Alright - sorry if I misposted the thread! ](*,)
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

dfoulkes wrote:In that version that you installed in your Mac... was that version tested 'before' you started making changes to your profile? ... or, did you backup/restore your profile from your prior system?

You might want to see if you can get Firefox running via the Safe-mode routine... and/or maybe create a new profile and check out that profile before doing any changes to it...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
I am not following? I didn't use Firefox to create my account here, found the forum by accident, while browsing Google for answers to my problem.
I will try having a look at the safe-mode, hopefully I can make it work through this, if it doesn't work, what would you suggest I could do?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I am not following? I didn't use Firefox to create my account here, found the forum by accident, while browsing Google for answers to my problem.
I'm not following your post either... I didn't mention anything about creating an account here... what I'm talking about is a Firefox 'profile'.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Just in case you get confused with that link re; "Creating a new Firefox Profile on Windows",
Try this one, as it has a reference to your Mac...Use them both...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Ahhhhh... maybe I need to alter my link-description? ... but I do see that same profile manager 'within' my orig. post-link... I'll work up something better. Have a good one... and... should Mr. Robot start wearing something warmer? ... or is it still warm done there.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
I wasn't sure if "Thandersen" may have missed the "Firefox Profile" link, hence my addition. JIC.

&, it's still reasonably warm down here.
Was sitting at around 24 to 27 ℃ for most of the week.
Too darn humid though due to many weeks of rain/drizzle & the occasional afternoon thunderstorm.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

I did miss the link. Will have a look at it right away!
Now I get why I am all confused about what you were talking about df!
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

However I did not make any changes to my profile. I tried running FF, it took forever to boot, then crashed and haven't been able to open it since ..
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure what is going on at your end... see what happens when you create a new profile... then try that one.

I was going to suggest that you bring down a portable version (for Mac) but I couldn't find where the portable site has one for you OS...

Where did you get your Firefox from?
Last edited by dfoulkes on March 28th, 2017, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

I will try creating a new profile as soon as I get off from work.
I got my version of Firefox from their "official" site I guess (https://www.mozilla.org/da/firefox/new/)
Thandersen

Post by Thandersen »

So if nothing happens - like nothing at all - should I try to completely remove the files from my iMac and try yet again?
I have even considered re-installing the OS to see if its something with the installation process?

Unless you have other suggestions?