I do not want to update Mozilla Firefox version

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RosaJBrassell

I do not want to update Mozilla Firefox version

Post by RosaJBrassell »

Dear Forum Manager,

I am using Firefox version 46.0.1 and personally I don't want to update new version. But Mozilla Firefox Service automatically downloads latest version and installs silently although I have checked "Never Check Update" in Update tab.
Please tell me what was going on? and how can I fix it? Thank you!

Best Regards
the-edmeister

Re: I do not want to update Mozilla Firefox version

Post by the-edmeister »

The Mozilla Maintenance Service can 'push' an update even when the app.update.enabled pref is disabled by "user" code or via "Never check for updates". I have been caught by MMS a few times when I accidentally left it enabled and opened the Firefox version where it was enabled. With my previous PC I had like 40+ versions of Firefox installed (each with its own Profile), every version from Firefox 2.0.0.28 up thru Firefox 37 when I built a new PC in May 2015 and stopped using the older PC that I built in 2008.

There's two files in Firefox Program files that I delete - maintenanceservice.exe and maintenanceservice_installer.exe to absolutely get rid of MMS.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Please go back to 45.8.0 extended release instead using an old and vulnerable* browser
www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html (upper right chose v45)

* https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/
therube

Post by therube »

(From, What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?, I don't see where MMS facilitates unintended updates, but rather averts having to click a UAC prompt.

So if you have updates disabled - that also means running a recent enough version of FF where disabling updates actually works [as it was broken for a long time], & so long as you haven't initiated some action to cause an [automatic]update to occur - like running a new or even test Profile prior to disabling updates in it, then you should not be getting updates. Theoretically ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RosaJBrassell

Post by RosaJBrassell »

the-edmeister wrote:The Mozilla Maintenance Service can 'push' an update even when the app.update.enabled pref is disabled by "user" code or via "Never check for updates". I have been caught by MMS a few times when I accidentally left it enabled and opened the Firefox version where it was enabled. With my previous PC I had like 40+ versions of Firefox installed (each with its own Profile), every version from Firefox 2.0.0.28 up thru Firefox 37 when I built a new PC in May 2015 and stopped using the older PC that I built in 2008.

There's two files in Firefox Program files that I delete - maintenanceservice.exe and maintenanceservice_installer.exe to absolutely get rid of MMS.
Programs And Features list Mozilla Maintenance Service, so do I just uninstall it then I can get rid of my issue forever?
(I am using Windows Server 2008R2)
Thank you!
Regards
RosaJBrassell

Post by RosaJBrassell »

Brummelchen wrote:Please go back to 45.8.0 extended release instead using an old and vulnerable* browser
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html (upper right chose v45)

* https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/
Could you give me another way that don't need to downgrade to version 45.8.0? I need install only version 46.0.1 because I am using it with Selenium 2.53.0, they must be compatible each others.
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely
RosaJBrassell

Post by RosaJBrassell »

therube wrote:(From, What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?, I don't see where MMS facilitates unintended updates, but rather averts having to click a UAC prompt.

So if you have updates disabled - that also means running a recent enough version of FF where disabling updates actually works [as it was broken for a long time], & so long as you haven't initiated some action to cause an [automatic]update to occur - like running a new or even test Profile prior to disabling updates in it, then you should not be getting updates. Theoretically ;-).)
But this is practically not theoretically. I did not take any action to cause an automatic update to occur, FF has updated silently honestly. :cry:
James

Post by James »

RosaJBrassell wrote:Could you give me another way that don't need to downgrade to version 45.8.0? I need install only version 46.0.1 because I am using it with Selenium 2.53.0, they must be compatible each others.
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely
The recent Firefox 45.8.0esr has several critical security fixes that the old Firefox 46.0.1 does not have.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... refox-esr/
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... s/firefox/
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

RosaJBrassell wrote:Could you give me another way that don't need to downgrade to version 45.8.0? I need install only version 46.0.1 because I am using it with Selenium 2.53.0, they must be compatible each others.
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely
There's a discussion on Github about this issue and the recommendation there is to install Marionette. Here's the link to the relevant post.

Once you've installed Marionette you should be able to use later versions of Firefox.
RosaJBrassell

Post by RosaJBrassell »

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion is very helpful for me. I'll read the instruction on the page you suggested carefully. Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Rosa
Reflective wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely
There's a discussion on Github about this issue and the recommendation there is to install Marionette. Here's the link to the relevant post.

Once you've installed Marionette you should be able to use later versions of Firefox.
RosaJBrassell

Post by RosaJBrassell »

Reflective suggested me a way that can solve my issue, I'll upgrade my Firefox version if he's right. I really know how good the latest Firefox version installed is. Thank you!
Regards,
Rosa
James wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely
The recent Firefox 45.8.0esr has several critical security fixes that the old Firefox 46.0.1 does not have.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... refox-esr/
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... s/firefox/