Can I stop popup dialog boxes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BruceAWittmeier

Can I stop popup dialog boxes

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I'm sure everyone is dealing with the popup dialog boxes asking to join the business/page by providing an email and create an account. It has recently in the past month grown to become a real pain. Every site has these now and if you use multiple tabs you may see them on several pages.

I don't think they are alerts and don't believe they can be stopped with AdblockPlus.

Is there any setting to prevent these?
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Re: Can I stop popup dialog boxes

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried YesScript or NoScript?
therube

Post by therube »

I'm sure everyone is dealing with the popup dialog boxes asking to join...
No.
URLs where this occurs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

The Firefox checkbox thing on the Preferences/Options dialog > Content tab that sez "Block Popups" has been checked, yes?
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

kreemoweet wrote:The Firefox checkbox thing on the Preferences/Options dialog > Content tab that sez "Block Popups" has been checked, yes?
I think the OP is referring to the popup type you see on this site: https://eurojackpot.nederlandseloterij.nl/ Firefox popup blocker doesn't block those.

Using either of the extensions DanRaisch suggested will do the trick. There's also a lightweight version of NoScript called QuickJS which allows you to toggle Javascript on and off on the fly.
BruceAWittmeier

No, I have not tried any scripting blockers.

Yes, I think what Reflective posted is the same.
Example link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/ << this has the popup also

Also most seem to appear after a time delay -- a few seconds.

Example -- this news letter signup:
http://i.imgur.com/JUYjK1h.jpg

I believe this is the source for the dialog box -- it does not appear to be a window that can be blocked by the "Block popups" setting.

Code: Select all

<div id="newsletter_popup" style="position: fixed; left: 30%; top: 40%; width:450px; height:200px; background: #fff; z-index: 100; border: 1px solid; padding-bottom: 10px; font-size:150%">

<div style="width:100%; background: #EAF8E4;">

<div style="font-weight: bold; padding:10px 10px 10px 10px;color:#3E642F; border-style: solid; border-color:#8DC478;height:20px">

<div style="float:left;">Newsletter Signup</div>

<div style="float:right; font-weight:normal; font-size:70%">
<a onclick="news_close()" style="cursor:pointer; color: #af0000;">Close X</a></div>

</div>
</div>

<div style="padding:30px;">It's a buyers market! Sign up for the SGAmmo email newsletter and be notified of new products and special deals!<div>

<p>
</p>

<table style="border: none;">
<tbody><tr><td><a href="/sgammocom-newsletter">Sign Up</a></td><td><a onclick="news_close()" style="cursor:pointer; color: #af0000;">No Thanks</a>
                    </td>
              </tr>
</tbody>
</table>

</div>
<script type="text/javascript"> if(window.screen.width < 680 || window.innerWidth < 680 || document.body.clientWidth < 680){ document.getElementById("newsletter_popup").style.left = "10px"; document.getElementById("newsletter_popup").style.width = "325px";}</script>

</div>
</div>

Last edited by Daifne on March 25th, 2017, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

This won't block them, but will at least zap them with one click:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... e_overlay/
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

This is an old article from 2013, but the about:config setting described there is still valid: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/05/27/how-to ... n-firefox/
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Vitesse wrote:This won't block them, but will at least zap them with one click:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... e_overlay/

Thanks for that. I just installed it and it works great!
BruceAWittmeier

Thank you, Vitesse. I suspect if you click it once when you start your browser you won't have to click again unless you restart.

That's awesome!
BruceAWittmeier

Vitesse -- thanks again for the link. I have been using it since this post and it works about 80% of the time. There are a few that won't dismiss but most -- even some that don't have the 'X' button get dismissed. Works great!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

late - but: any decent adblocker should block it, to name adbloc (plus) or ublock origin. and those filter some ad script servers because you complained about several sites - those are using same ad servers. a script blocker is formerly to block scripts, overlays can be caused by scripts - or dynamic html code which is inserted as an iframe - script blocker dont filter iframes, but adblocker will do. thats why a decent adblocker is more recommended than a script blocker!
this overlay hider is pure cosmetic and no forthcome. concerning security a complete waste. 2ct