open HTML files from Yahell groups in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

open HTML files from Yahell groups in Firefox

Post by slickrcbd »

I'm trying to read a bunch of short text files uploaded in basic .htm format to the files section of a Yahoo Group.
Every time I try to click on one of them and open it in a new tab or even just click on it, I get prompted what I want to do with the file. Normally this would be exactly what I want, as most of the time I want to download the files, but right now I just want to read them once and move on.
I've tried selecting to open it in Firefox and ticking the checkbox to "do this automatically next time", on the assumption that I could use the applications tab in the options to change it back when I'm done, but it instead continues to prompt me every time.
What do I do to make it open said HTML files as if they were just another link? Preferably just for this browser session, but I don't have a problem with manually changing it and then changing it back.
Reflective

Re: open HTML files from Yahell groups in Firefox

Post by Reflective »

It sounds like the web server isn't identifying the MIME type correctly. Click Tools ---> Options and then click Applications in the left hand menu. In the Search field at the top of the right hand pane type: .htm. If all you see is a blank space below, then Firefox doesn't recognize the file type. See "Unable to set an automatic action" in this support article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_an ... ad_actions