Firefox load times...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey

Firefox load times...

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Using FF v. 43.0.1

I have started to be very much aware of load times to websites, including FF's start page.

When I visit a non-FF website I can monitor a couple of things:
1. Total time it takes for the complete page to load
2. All the junk that is being 'visited' during the load (visible in the bottom left corner of the FF screen)

When I load FF and go to its start page I can only monitor one thing:
1. Total time it takes for the complete page to load

Unfortunately FF hides all the junk that is being 'visited' during the load (NOT visible in the bottom left corner of the FF screen)

Further upsetting me is the inability to click, do anything until everything has loaded, plus the FIREFOX NOT RESPONDING
message I get at the top of the screen most of the time I try to click before the page has completely loaded.

Can someone please tell me what the heck is really going on 'behind the scenes' with FF when it starts up?
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox load times...

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I use this extension to get the add-on bar back... but another thing that it does is gives back the status bar-info....
User Info for Geek in Training :: Add-ons for Firefox

... or...
Status-4-Evar :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

dfoulkes wrote:I use this extension to get the add-on bar back... but another thing that it does is gives back the status bar-info....
User Info for Geek in Training :: Add-ons for Firefox

... or...
Status-4-Evar :: Add-ons for Firefox

Thanks. Well I just tried installing the first extension mentioned but didn't really see any difference in FF load time.
I also didn't see the stuff being loaded in the bottom left corner of the FF screen.
Is FF that clean?

To give you an idea of one of my problems, while FF is loading (I can see the full FF screen) I can't type in the FF search bar
in the middle of the screen. There is a delay of 5+ seconds before I can see what I type.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

1st... you installed that restore add-on bar extension but I gave you the wrong link... this is the direct link...so, I just wanted to make sure that you got the right one.
The Addon Bar (Restored) :: Add-ons for Firefox
... now, if you don't see anything from that bar then you need to go up to the top of Firefox ... a blank area of the location bar... right-click and make sure that the 'The Addon bar' has a ckeck-mark next to it.
Well I just tried installing the first extension mentioned but didn't really see any difference in FF load time
That bar doesn't have anything to do with load time etc... I mentioned it in order to give you back your 'status bar'.

Have you tried running Firefox in safe-mode to check out that load time?

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

... and no improvement in safe-mode... try a new test profile and use it as-is for the test... depending on the results and your posting back here... we can proceed from that point.

Also... what AV product do you use?
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

dfoulkes wrote:...

Have you tried running Firefox in safe-mode to check out that load time?

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).
Wow! What a difference!

Thank you very much. Just got around to trying this out (safe mode).

OK now the fun part begins. What should I do, add each add-on one at a time until I find the culprit that is slowing down my
computer?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Yes.
But, remember to re-start Firefox each time.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Also... and depending on how may extension you use... some people disable 1/2 of their extensions and if the problem goes away they enable 1/2 of those...etc... in other words... they work with groups.