Have FF save login for ONE site only? [workaround found]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JLJ

Have FF save login for ONE site only? [workaround found]

Post by JLJ »

Firefox 52.0.2 x64 / Windows 7 x64

Is it possible to enable Firefox's native saving of login credentials for only one site? I'd like it to retain my Netflix data, but only my Netflix data. AFAICT the option controlling this function is purely binary, all or nothing. I'd be satisfied (I think) if I could turn it on and add some all-but-Netflix expression in the Exceptions list, but that's beyond my pay grade. Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Update: I've found a workaround, at least for Netflix: sign in, then protect the following two cookies from deletion and/or cleaning:

SecureNetflixId
NetflixId

Voila! :mrgreen:
Last edited by JLJ on April 24th, 2017, 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
therube

Re: Have FF save login for ONE site only?

Post by therube »

FF does not save any login data - unless you specifically approve the saving of such.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JLJ

Post by JLJ »

therube wrote:FF does not save any login data - unless you specifically approve the saving of such.
Thanks, but I'm well aware of that, which is why I referred to the option in my post. I'm trying to determine if it can be enabled for only one site instead of all sites.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The functionality is as you've seen. The option is to permit all with negative exceptions so, effectively, the answer to your initial question is "No."
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Personally, I don't use Firefox master password feature. Instead, I use a third party password manager called Keepass: http://keepass.info/
JLJ

Post by JLJ »

Reflective wrote:Personally, I don't use Firefox master password feature. Instead, I use a third party password manager called Keepass: http://keepass.info/
I use Roboform myself. That's why I was hoping to use FF's native functionality for just this one site. If it's not to be, it's not to be. I'll have to type out my ridiculous Netflix password each and every fershlugginer time. ](*,)

Thanks all.
JLJ

Re: Have FF save login for ONE site only? [workaround found]

Post by JLJ »

Workaround for Netflix: see update in first post
therube

Post by therube »

So are you saving the "login" or the "logged in status" here?

Saving the login, presumably meaning, your login data, username & password are saved in password manager.
Logged in status, presumably meaning, that once you have logged in, you remain so, even after closing & reopening the browser - so long as your cookies remain valid.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JLJ

Post by JLJ »

therube wrote:So are you saving the "login" or the "logged in status" here?

Saving the login, presumably meaning, your login data, username & password are saved in password manager.
Logged in status, presumably meaning, that once you have logged in, you remain so, even after closing & reopening the browser - so long as your cookies remain valid.
As noted it's a workaround, not a solution: I am not relying on the native password manager, which is disabled -- just retaining Netlix account ID cookies across sessions and excluding them from removal using CookieCuller and CCleaner. Obviously one can try to determine the relevant cookies for any given site(s) and do the same, I only wanted to do so for this one. I use Roboform for all other significant login req's.