How the %$#! do I bypass an untrusted connection?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: How the %$#! do I bypass an untrusted connection?

Post by Brummelchen »

chrome uses certs from IE store, but i think that his security software is intermitting - the first launch with a clean profile is working.

concerning firefox i am not sure - firefox download for XP is set to v43 with possible upgrade to current because XP dont support TLS 1.1 or higher. i dont know if security programs will rely on xp TLS or firefox tls - they are kind of proxies/MITM. at least they inject a cert and if that is not valid for tls1.0/1.1 you got lost.

somewhere in this forum i wrote i had a v52 (esr) working on xp - there is no change until now.
Rekrul

Post by Rekrul »

therube wrote:Compare the files in your working/non-working Profiles.
Compare the file contents in your working/non-working Profiles.
There are a total of 214 files in my default profile and only 40 in the blank one.
therube wrote:My first thought was SiteSecurityServiceState.txt, but that may be too new for FF 13, not sure?
I don't have that file.
therube wrote:Compare SSL related Prefs in prefs.js?
I just looked in prefs.js and a search for SSL didn't find anything at all.
Brummelchen wrote:chrome uses certs from IE store, but i think that his security software is intermitting - the first launch with a clean profile is working.
Why would it interfere with my default profile, but ignore the blank profile? If my anti-virus is to blame, shouldn't it behave the same with both? And with Palemoon?

And so far nobody has been able to explain why some warnings let me bypass them and some don't. That warning page is being generated by Firefox, right? So it's up to Firefox to present the "I understand the risks" option, right? So why is it pure chance whether that shows up or not? Why does Firefox completely ignore manually added security extensions? In short, what would cause Firefox to screw up like this? Yes, it's Firefox that's screwing up because it works fine with the blank profile.

The only explanations I can think of, other than Firefox just corrupting its own profile is that the upgrades I did from previous versions didn't go as smoothly as they should have, or that the fact that over the years, I've bookmarked a metric ton of sites, is somehow screwing it up. Does having too many bookmarks screw up Firefox?

It's at the point where I'm going to have to re-do Firefox from scratch. On a daily basis, Firefox is declaring more and more of the sites that I visit daily to be untrusted and not giving me the option of bypassing the warning. Blank profile works fine. Also, some sites have started to lose their formatting and just appear as plain text on a plain white background. DSLReports.com is one such site. I have literally not changed a thing. One day a site works, the next day it doesn't. Some warnings it lets me bypass and some it doesn't. I wish I could turn off the whole damn cert system since at this point it's just flipping a coin anyway. I mean, is Techdirt.com really an untrusted site? Palemoon doesn't seem to think so. Neither does Firefox when I use a blank profile. Something is obviously screwed up.

The only reason I'm hesitant to do this is that I don't want to lose all my bookmarks, saved passwords and my saved cookies for web site preferences. Now I have to figure out which of the 214 files in my profile directory contain these things since Mozilla didn't see fit to neatly organize things into a single file for each. :(
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.
Make sure to look in the correct location.

Location used for the main profile with your personal data (%AppData%).
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\

Location used for the disk cache and other temporary files.
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\

See the about:profiles page for buttons to go to the profile folder.