Right Click-Save Target As option is missing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
no_way

Right Click-Save Target As option is missing

Post by no_way »

Please forgive any mistakes I make here - this is my first post in a long while.
When I right click on a .jpeg file or .wav file, the option to "Save Target As" is not listed.
I tried "Save Link As", but that just downloads the HTML file, not the image itself.
I don't know how long it's been this way, but I noticed it today.

Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

I would have posted a screen shot, but I checked the FAQs and couldn't quite figure out the full procedure to upload my image to a web server - sorry about that.

Thank you.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Right Click-Save Target As option is missing

Post by malliz »

Guess the obvious questions are does it work in Firefox Safe mode and what Anti Virus/security software are you using?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
no_way

Post by no_way »

No, it does not work in Safe Mode either. Using Norton Security Deluxe - running the latest version.

Firefox 52.0.2 - 64 bit version up to date - (Dell Inspiron - Windows 7 SP1 - 64 bit version)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Any chance that those file types (.jpeg file or .wav) are NOT enabled in your Windows settings...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
no_way

Post by no_way »

Hello JayhawksRock - jpeg and wav files are not the only file type extensions affected.

Also, could you please elaborate or help me to navigate to where I can see if those file types "are not enabled in my Windows settings".

To everyone else who may be following this thread, I'd like to add that if I use IE11 instead of Firefox, the option to "save target as" does appear in the right click menu.

I have two Dells and tested this on both. One is running Norton Security Deluxe, the other is running the free version of AVG 2017. Both are Windows 7 SP1.

Perhaps that may offer a clue.
therube

Post by therube »

URLs to these .jpeg, .wav files?

(I'll suspect there is some sort of "overlay", such that you are not "right-clicking" on said picture, sound.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

What does "clicking on a .jpeg file" mean? What exactly are you clicking on? All links in any page that my FF displays have a "save link as ..." entry in the context menu.
All images displayed show a "save image as ..." in their context menu. I don't think FF ever had a "save target as ...", that is terminology only IE (and perhaps other browsers) uses.

What you get when you click "save link as ..." is entirely dependent on the website server, not Firefox.
no_way

Post by no_way »

Can A moderator or other helpful member please give me the details on how to post a screenshot so there will be no misunderstanding what I'm talking about? It seems we have wandered off of my original question.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Here is the doc. on posting screen-shots... you need to save the image in a 3rd party site....then link it to here...
See: Posting_a_screenshot_on_the_forum.
Posting a screenshot on the forum - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Use a compressed image format like .png or .jpg and please do not post large images that break the forum layout, use thumbnails instead or only post a link.
If you need a place to host a screenshot... Note the "Uploading for general use" section of the document.
Also, have you considered rebooting your problem computer into safe-mode (with Network active) ... then see if function is there or not.... it's a long shot. But remember...yo have no AV running at this time.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not a bug.
Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Link to the site would help in case the site is using JavaScript to modify the context menus. Anyway, I use https://imgur.com/ for my screenshots. For this forum, you can use the "BBCode" copy option after uploading your screenshot there.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

That reminds me... I've wanted to ask this before... but you know... the mind is ????? ... see... I can't remember that saying... something about terrible? :lol:

...anyway... does your imgur have anything that Tiny-Pic doesn't have? ... or are they all the same... I use Tiny... thanks.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
no_way

Post by no_way »

I tried uploading 2 jpegs imgur - I hope I did it correctly and that they can be seen.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
No siree.
No image links to be seen.

Try this...it may be a tad clearer...
You see a "Print Screen" key near the top RHS of the keyboard.
Use that & the image will be copied to your Clipboard.
Reduce them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor, (Be sure to remove any personal info.)
& upload them to eg: > Photobucket or your favourite image hosting site.
> http://photobucket.com/
> https://imgur.com/
> http://postimg.org

(I use Photobucket....so...)
In photobucket...
Open the image by clicking on it.
On the RHS, there are a few options. "Links to share this photo."
Choose the [img] link at the bottom & it will be copied to the clipboard.
Paste that link in here.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)