Is This JavaScript Update Legitimate?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Re: Is This JavaScript Update Legitimate?

Post by RobertJ »

Wiggam72 wrote:popped up again while in Yahoo email.
Yahoo was hacked a number of months ago and passwords were compromised; so, if your relative did nothing that is a potential problem. In addition yahoo email is notorious for having the address book scraped of email addresses. Before going through the process of cleaning up that computer again, I would definitely change email to something other than yahoo. I know it's a bit of a pain but yahoo email has been and continues to be a problem.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Wiggam72

Re: Is This JavaScript Update Legitimate?

Post by Wiggam72 »

I'll talk to my relative about that. I don't think my relative will be keen on the idea of changing their email address, especially since that address has been used for many years and is tied with many important and not-so-important things.
BobbyPhoenix wrote:I see this around a lot more lately. Family member gets it at least twice a week from Yahoo News (Slow computer, and has Yahoo set as homepage, so before the adblocker is loaded this sometimes gets loaded first. I finally put a "new page" as the first page when opening Firefox to allow the adblocker to load by the time they get to it). It's super hard to block as a domain/site because it uses random servers/domains that are only temporary, so if you get it and block it, you can still get it again from another server/domain.
From quite a while back, I set my relative's homepage to DuckDuckGo. However, I never got around to installing a adblocker. I'll see if I can do it sometime tomorrow.
dfoulkes wrote:Assuming that uBlock is blocking that here and not anything else like a script blocking that I use ... as installed---> uBlock should take care of it... it does here.
It seems like a very dangerous and persistent pop-up. I sure hope that it will be able to block it without using a script.