NoSquint extension updating question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

NoSquint extension updating question

Post by dfoulkes »

Seen a number of update issues (now resolved) with NoSquint Plus extension update so I did a little digging in here to see why mine had not caused those issues... Bam... checked my version number and it was way back to version 45.1.0. ... I check for extension updates about twice a week and in all that time it's never posted a need for updating... so, just curious, and I know that I can download the extension and force an update that way..., but before I did that I was just curious about 'where' in my profile(s) is something that is stopping just that one extension from updating... BTW... checked my Test profile which has that extension and also the uBlock extension...same issue. I guess I could also restart in safe-mode and see what happens ... but I wanted to find the cause before it got fixed.... any thoughts?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Grumpus

Re: NoSquint extension updating question

Post by Grumpus »

Checked about:config and there's a couple of possibilities but nothing seemed definitive.
Look in about:config and type in nosquint and see if there's a extension.nosquint.addonversion or something similar set to true or false.
Add-ons may need this type of item to check for updates, but I'm guessing.
It's in about:config for noscript and CTR.
Also look at extensions.bootstrappedAddons and see if NoSquint is in the list.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

You can individually set extensions to not check for updates [off] (or default or on) in Addons Manager.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@therube - settings is only for automatic updating not version check unless Windows is different?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

If (automatic) updates is set to, Off, for a particular extension, a manual check for update will show the update (in the Available Updates tab & in the Extensions tab), but will not update the extension unless specifically allowed.

(I missed the manual check part, & have got to assume that [FF] & Linux work the same as Windows.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Grumpus
A 'close' record for that extension is ... pretty much the closest related.
extensions.nosquint.version 2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed

Not sure what that records other than... maybe just a record of when I started using it.
Also look at extensions.bootstrappedAddons and see if NoSquint is in the list.
Also looked for than... no hits.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

therube
I've always had my profile set to 'not' auto update anything... I like to take care of the updates when needed. I checked that extension in the manager and it was set to use my default setting (no updating). I've attempted to 'force' an update for it ... a couple of times.. no luck... it's not a big deal as I can always download it and install it over my current version... or, even remove my current version first and then install... I was more curious than anything... as I have so few problems with Firefox... it was just weird.

Thanks ALL!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

extensions.nosquint.version 2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed
This doesn't look right, is there a true or false behind it or is there a version number, current version is 53
Did you get it from the add-ons or from Homepage NoSquint Mozilla
therube

Post by therube »

The OLD, original, NoSquint is 2.1.9.1..., https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/.

I don't think that is expected to be working in FF 52 ;-).
Or possibly it could be that the features you use still do, while (perhaps) much of the program does not?

Oh, & given the extension you are using, it is correctly being reported that there are no updates for it, as there are none.

Oh, oh.
So you are not "running" 2.1.9.1, but rather 45.1.
Only what logged information (or whatever) you were able to dig up only mentions 2.1.9.1...
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Grumpus wrote:extensions.nosquint.version 2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed
This doesn't look right, is there a true or false behind it or is there a version number, current version is 53
Did you get it from the add-ons or from Homepage NoSquint Mozilla
And I just noticed that the values of 2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed are in there... but it also states that this was a User Set item... and to tell you the truth... it's so long since I installed it that I don't remember doing that set nor where I got it from... just about 100percent of all my extensions come from AMO.

Anyway 'helpers' ... I'm just going to uninstall this version and get the current one... and BTW ... everything I want it to do is working fine.... so, who knows ... just mysteries.

Also for therube...
Only what logged information (or whatever) you were able to dig up only mentions 2.1.9.1..
That stuff is coming from the prefs file.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If there is an issue with the preferences file you can sometimes comment out a line using the # mark.
Make sure you keep notes on paper as standard practice.
It may be the setting came from NoSquint and because it wasn't default it reads as "user set".
You can right click on it and hit reset to see what happens. 8-[
Since you have it figured out you might want to check about:config and see if it retains the line.
You should clear it out before the new install.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You can right click on it and hit reset to see what happens. 8-[
Since you have it figured out you might want to check about:config and see if it retains the line.
You should clear it out before the new install.
Too late... I uninstalled the 'old' one, installed the new one...had to make some minor adjustments but all is well now...

Just now, I saw your post... went into prefs and that record was still there... so, I reset it and it came back as a real basic line... stopped Firefox, started it again and everything seems to be OK...I'll just leave it there for now.

Thanks again for all the help... both of you.