video's

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Yellbird

video's

Post by Yellbird »

I tried everything I could think of but forwhatever reason I cannot view news videos on Foxnews.com but when I try with Opera I have no problem. I shut down all the add-on's but nothing will work.
I would appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks
Reflective

Re: video's

Post by Reflective »

This problem appears to be related to a change to one or more about:config settings. Initially, I couldn't play any of the Foxnews clips either and even restarting in Firefox safe mode didn't help.

Eventually I restarted FF in another profile which I created some time ago to address an issue with the After Flood video which wouldn't play at the time. Using that profile which doesn't have any about:config changes made to it worked and Foxnews videos played correctly.

You can test this for yourself by creating a new profile if you don't have another one you can use, instructions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

You can have more than one profile in Firefox and load them idependently by typing about:support in the location bar and hit Enter.
Yellbird

Post by Yellbird »

Thanks for your thoughts, I gave it a try but nothing changed, I also contacted Fox News andd they had no ideas.
Thanks again
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I just went to FoxNews.com, click on Videos and one started automatically. Tried 3 others at random and they all worked.

Try a new profile; that often seems to work for unresolvable problems.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Yellbird wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, I gave it a try but nothing changed, I also contacted Fox News andd they had no ideas.
Thanks again
Check the Flash player version you have installed. It should say 25.0.0.148 when you run the test on this page: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Yellbird

Post by Yellbird »

Ok, I tried a new profile and I also have the latest Flash Player, nothing seems to work, what strange is I see the Photo of the video before it starts then it goes black
and some them will have a photo of what is suppose to be playing and it says it's playing.

Thanks very much to all who made suggestions
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yellbird wrote:Ok, I tried a new profile and I also have the latest Flash Player, nothing seems to work,
When testing with that new profile... did you test it out just like it was created? ... or, did you make any changes to it?

Also... see what happens with the portable version of Firefox....
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

...and, what AV software do you have running?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Yellbird

Post by Yellbird »

I never heard of Firefox Portable, the surprise of all surprises I download it to a memory stick and ran it and all of a sudden I can see the video's. What that means I don't know? How do I compare the two, if I call Firefox on the computer Fire-1 and the memory stick Fire-2 what do I do? I looked at about:config on Fire-1 but can't get it to run on Fire-2?

I also have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes

I did not make any changes after creating the new profile
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You basically 'don't' compare the two.... I suggested to try the portable version because it is totally self-contained and does not put anything into your PC ... like a true install does... and it could be that your AV stuff also sees it differently and does not mess with it like it might with the installed version....

You mention Malwarebytes... is that just one that you run from time to time... like I do? ... or is it always running...if it is, then having two AV products always running can cause issues like this...

From past reading some people have mentioned that rebooting Win10 into safe-mode with Network active is hard to do... I have no idea... but if you can do that and then test your installed Firefox it may indicate something.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can check media.autoplay.enabled on the about:config page to see if it is default.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/about%3Aconfig
Yellbird

Post by Yellbird »

Thanks for all your help, I got tired of messing with it and went to SeaMonkey, all works fine now. Thanks Again