Move FF to a new computer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
recip_mech

Move FF to a new computer

Post by recip_mech »

I'm in the process of moving Fire Fox and TB from a Win 7 to a new Win 10 machine. I didn't do my homework very well and got the profile messed up and now get messages from both that they are already running but not responding AND the profile cannot be loaded. I have saved copies of the program and users directories, but some do not have profiles. Could some tell me how to and where to create a profile.ini when you can't get the application open to use profile manager.
DanRaisch

Re: Move FF to a new computer

Post by DanRaisch »

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

In case you would copy the full profile folder (not recommended though) then you need to copy profiles.ini as well.
This file registers all profiles and Firefox won't find a profile unless listed in the file.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/profiles.ini_file

Always be cautious not to copy corrupted files to avoid carrying over problems.
See also:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
recip_mech

Post by recip_mech »

I uninstalled FF and reinstalled it and got it to work, but the same procedure did not work for TB. I still get the errors that it is already running and the profile cannot be loaded. Any thoughts here or do I need to go to the TB forum?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Copy "Mozilla" and "Thunderbird" folders, which can be found in "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\", to new systems equal location and install Firefox and Thunderbird. This works fine between Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
Linux uses different profile folder locations, but same procedure works there too. Not sure about macOS though.
recip_mech

Post by recip_mech »

I've uninstalled TB and reinstalled it. Still get the same error. How should the profiles.ini read? Should I have a complete path or just use the default?