Download freezing **fixed** corrected browser.download.dir

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CA-OV

Download freezing **fixed** corrected browser.download.dir

Post by CA-OV »

Typed about:config in the browser URL bar, and then typed "browser" in the search bar to find any listing related to the browser.

I saw browser.download.dir had an incorrect text string that listed a folder path that no longer existed.

So, I changed it to the common default path of: C:\Users\X\Downloads ... (where X is my particular User account reference name).
You should change it to whatever your computer's C: path is to the Downloads folder.

The browser has stopped freezing and is back to responding within seconds, as is normal.
Last edited by CA-OV on April 25th, 2017, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makaiguy

Re: Download freezing **Fixed** corrected browser.download.d

Post by makaiguy »

Thanks for reporting. It can help the few people that actually bother to search for a solution to their problems. (I'd bet you are one of the good guys that DO search for existing solutions.)
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
CA-OV

Re: Download freezing **Fixed** corrected browser.download.d

Post by CA-OV »

I tried suggestions found at this page but they didn't work:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... load_files

Instead, this page, although it didn't address it, led me to look more closely at the about:config listings; in the section titled: Firefox Freezes or Crashes - Clear Firefox Browser Cache, History and Download History, where the suggestion is: "Try resetting the browser.download.lastDir preference in about:config." So, looking at the 'browser' type settings, I noticed the incorrect text string that was causing the hanging, as Firefox couldn't find the folder path that no longer existed, and apparently, there is no dialog box that comes back to tell it can't be found, after its initial search.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/firefox-f ... shes-hangs
Brummelchen

Re: Download freezing **fixed** corrected browser.download.d

Post by Brummelchen »

if firefox has sufficient rights it creates the download folder anywhere if possible and if medium is present - if not it fails. in fact for partition C with windows it has very limited rights outside users folder. if you verify downloads with opening the download folder from firefox it should throw an error message.
current user download folder - at least it is bound to the used (firefox) profile if not portable - and the default download folder is user. only if you copy or install a backup for a user which was not same as current it happens like you described - or changed manually.