F53 Linux crashes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
robbyx

F53 Linux crashes

Post by robbyx »

Often Firefox crashes but I can not tell you why or when. I have just checked about:crashes and it says I have had none since installing gnome 16.04, therefore, all the reports I thought I was sending were crushed in the crashes. I have also noted:

When I start in safe mode it usually says I have FF open, when I had previously closed it.

I have tried visiting a couple of sites in safemode and closed down FF successfully, but I am doing the same in ordinary mode, without always getting a crash.

What should I check out to find why the crashes take place, the reports are not sent or saved, and the restart is blocked but opened by having another go and opening FF?

Is this regular crashing a known problem with FF 53 and are there any other solutions apart from starting in safe mode.
Robin
dfoulkes

Re: F53 Linux crashes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm not a Linux user... but have you tried creating a new profile, use it as-is and then see what you get.....
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Also... in your current problem have you tried turning off sending crash reports ... have it crash and then do about:crashes? ... maybe they are getting cleared out when sent to Mozilla... don't know... just a thought.
Last edited by dfoulkes on April 27th, 2017, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
James

Post by James »

robbyx wrote: Is this regular crashing a known problem with Fx 53
Maybe with the third-party Ubuntu build of Fx 53 but not with the official builds from Mozilla.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try the Firefox version from the official Mozilla server since you currently use a version from the repositories of your Linux distribution.

I don't know if your Firefox version uses hardware acceleration, but you can try to disable this (hardware acceleration is disabled in Safe Mode).

You can disable multi-process windows in Firefox by setting these preferences to false on the about:config page.
browser.tabs.remote.autostart = false
browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 = false

See also:
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/22/multi-process-firefox/
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Is it only Firefox that crashes or the does it lock up the system?
Have you checked your log files?
You want to look for failed attempted access and any other types of errors.
If you have the system monitor watch the activity and also, possibly install iptraf and set it up to watch all interfaces while on-line.
You may also want to look in your home directory in the two thumbnail folders for anything wrong. One is under cache.
You can dump the thumbnails and there should be a "failed" folder which can be cleaned.
There's a couple of other things if you are using wireless.
Check you regdomain setting. for country codre - "iw reg get" in a normal terminal.
Also look under /etc/Network Manager/system connections and make sure there is nothing there which does not belong.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions.

Robin