Firefox fails to properly set itself as default

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DCCXVIII

Firefox fails to properly set itself as default

Post by DCCXVIII »

Firefox: (ver 53, 64bit)
Brand new install.

Problem: FF not shown in Windows 10 default apps. Drop down only shows usual IE or Edge. FF complains it isn't default browser when launched.

Work-around: Force Windows to set FF as default by ignoring Default apps and going to original default apps settings from Windows 7 that still exists in Windows 10. Set FF to aquire all its defaults. FF now opens as default however STILL complains it is not default. Note that Win 10 default apps now shows FF as default browser. However clicking on it shows no FF in drop down.

Likely bug source: FF installer fails to add/modify required registry key that sets default apps in Windows 10. I have not been able to track down this new reg branch as it is distinct from the original one from Windows 7/8.1. Note that file type associations are not relelvant here.
DCCXVIII

Re: Firefox fails to properly set itself as default

Post by DCCXVIII »

I solved the issue. Installing and uninstalling the beta release of FF and then reinstalling the release version fixed the affected registry key. This is replicable and I advise Mozilla devs to put in a check when a user installs the release version over the top of the beta version to avoid this issue in the future.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

install, set as default browser while installing, go to windows settings and select default browser - simple as that, windows 8 or higher dont allow this direct setting. and this is valid for all browsers so devs had done their homework - you obviously not.
DCCXVIII

Post by DCCXVIII »

Brummelchen wrote:install, set as default browser while installing, go to windows settings and select default browser - simple as that, windows 8 or higher dont allow this direct setting. and this is valid for all browsers so devs had done their homework - you obviously not.
You clearly need to do your own homework or at the very least read the OP. What you've suggested would in no way resolve the issue as it basically WAS the issue. As mentioned, Windows 10 didn't recognise it AT ALL and therefore it did not exist in the drop down list in the new Default Apps settings panel that exists in Windows 10 as oposed to prior versions. I already suggested a work-around by utiling the Win7/8.1 method but in Win 10 that will affect a user double-click but as far as FF is concerned, it isn't the default. Hence my suggestion about the likely new reg key that Win 10 introduces as distinct from the pre-existing reg keys that controlled the default app associations from prior versions of Windows.

Learn to read next time.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

maybe.

but your issue is unique - at least firefox setup is doing fine as i described. if it might be general problem then there should be more complains but there are not. see!?

your bugs should go here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
this a not a developer foru, only users4users.