compact light

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Vitesse

Re: compact light

Post by Vitesse »

colley30 wrote:I have 2 unwanted themes(skins) located in Appearance; 1)Compact Light... and 2)Compact Dark... both are unneeded and unwanted !

there is also a default theme which has always been a part of FF which I have no problem with; FF should not be inserting unwanted, unneeded and unremovable modules into my personal application
You could always ask Mozilla for a refund. :roll:
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Agreed on the inability to remove anything unwanted.
Guessing this is part of the changeover and Mozilla is trying to accommodate users with some form of visual diversity with initial versions.
It could also be these themes cut down on excess footprint or other coding issues.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote: Guessing this is part of the changeover and Mozilla is...
...in preemptive damage control mode?... 'look!! we have themes'...(and have been testing them in Developer Edition for a while).
Expect a 'custom theme creator' to appear somewhere down the line..like Vivaldi already has.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Aris

Post by Aris »

colley30 wrote:I have 2 unwanted themes(skins) located in Appearance; 1)Compact Light... and 2)Compact Dark... both are unneeded and unwanted !

there is also a default theme which has always been a part of FF which I have no problem with; FF should not be inserting unwanted, unneeded and unremovable modules into my personal application
What Mozilla calls "compact themes" is nothing else but CSS code (= text) to change tab appearance, some colors and some margins/paddings. It is nowhere near to what "real themes" used to be back then. You do not experience any disadvantage performance wise. Their code is not active, if you stay on default theme.

"FF should not be inserting unwanted, unneeded and unremovable modules into my personal application"
About that...
I guess you never looked into your "Firefox\browser\features" folder. :mrgreen:

(Fx 55 example)

All browsers contain a lot of 'build in' stuff nowadays.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Aris - having a list like that is concerning if there is no explanation of what each item does and whether there is an opt out or the ability to disable.
A couple of browsers looked at and tested lately had issues where user level control over filetypes were minimal or no control over the browsers treatment or use.
I found this to be unacceptable having no way to opt out or disable the browsers management of the filetype.
In Linux there is a folder which holds the current list of .xpi items for FF53 and while some shouldn't be removed some things like pocket, screenshots, presentation and flyweb may be subjective and appear to be redundancies to OS functions. Should they become CSS code and disappear into the package this could be questionable.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Pring

Post by Pring »

I use a persona switcher, so even when the new Comact Dar/Light themes are disabled, the switcher activates them. I DONT WANT YOUR OPINION IN THE BROWSER< I WANT OPTIONS. Emailing Dev and owners now. :| :!:
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Pring - You need to contact the folks behind the persona switcher and take it up with them.
From what you say the persona switcher is ignoring the setting not Firefox.
If they won't help here's the contact for Mozilla: Mozilla Contact

Thanks James
Last edited by Grumpus on June 21st, 2017, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
colley30

Post by colley30 »

I did not submit a query on this issue
James

Post by James »

colley30 wrote:I did not submit a query on this issue
Grumpus was replying to Pring.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

error
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that this CSS file is used:
chrome://browser/skin/compacttheme.css

https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release ... cttheme.js