Web pages become "shaded"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kltpzyxmrm

Web pages become "shaded"

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

Lately I have randomly experienced pages suddenly become shaded, like a tinted window, at which time I am unable to do anything on the page except scroll. The page must be reloaded to get back to normal.

I believe it happens on more than one site.

thanks
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Web pages become "shaded"

Post by malliz »

Pretty sure its one of those annoying pop ups that block the screen to make you buy something or sign up for something. Maybe an addblocker will stop them something like ublock
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Likely triggered by a third-party cookie - or even malware - you've picked up from somewhere. As malliz says, probably advertising or a fake update of some description which - if you're only seeing the overlay - may be blocked by something else. I've seen behaviour like this on sites where I've used uBlock Origin's element picker to block popups - it seems it cannot, however, block the overlays as well, as if you try to select the overlay it simply blocks the whole page!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ublock is blocking with my settings all that annoying stuff, but i think with the default settings and the hosts list files activated there should be close to nothing. without i had also an overlay - and some ad stuff in local storage.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Extension "Behind the Overlay." Works most of the time.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It strikes me as being a bit odd that the site that displayed the overlay is displaying an article dated June 8, 2016. I tried to find it on the PCMag site which you took the screenshot on, but it looks a lot different than yours. Also, the AV is now called Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential. You can see it here: http://uk.pcmag.com/360-internet-securi ... sential-86

Note also that the PCMag site has a different layout as well. Did you click a link in an email which took you to the site shown in your screenshot? If so, it might be a phishing site or some other malware related scam. In any event, the site I went to doesn't project an overlay even though I blocked cookies, trackers and ads.
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

Reflective wrote:It strikes me as being a bit odd that the site that displayed the overlay is displaying an article dated June 8, 2016.
Yeah. Weird.

I was googling antivirus/malware program comparisons, and found http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp. I followed a link on the page to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422024,00.asp. I just went there again and it still gets that overlay after spending some time there.
Brummelchen wrote:ublock is blocking with my settings all that annoying stuff, but i think with the default settings and the hosts list files activated there should be close to nothing. without i had also an overlay - and some ad stuff in local storage.
malliz wrote:Pretty sure its one of those annoying pop ups that block the screen to make you buy something or sign up for something. Maybe an addblocker will stop them something like ublock
That sounds likely to me, using Acblock Plus. With all the antivirus/malware stuff I've been testing, not likely something sinister or it would have been caught or I would have other evidence of it.
LoveMyFoxy wrote:Extension "Behind the Overlay." Works most of the time.
Nice. Thanks.